Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.93 average.
Old Saturday 28th January 2006, 18:14   #76
MargaretM

Saw those geese in Greenmount. They were about two fields away and were difficult to identify, but they certainly looked like greylag. Took some photos and on close inspection I would agree that they were greylag all right. They took off when I was there, what a noise. Hopefully they will be there tomorrow.
Old Wednesday 1st February 2006, 11:33   #77
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
Saw those geese in Greenmount. They were about two fields away and were difficult to identify, but they certainly looked like greylag. Took some photos and on close inspection I would agree that they were greylag all right. They took off when I was there, what a noise. Hopefully they will be there tomorrow.
Caught up with these on monday - thanks - about 40 greylags - good viewing spot. Last year they hung around the fields up the commons road (viewable from the barns half way up) but seem to have abandoned that area this year...checking mell quarry at the same time, no sign of the flock of tufted duck with the drake ring neck seen there on saturday...
Old Thursday 2nd February 2006, 14:54   #78
ardnasx1
Sandra

I read in the paper about an event in Mornington this Saturday for World Wetlands Day. Has anyone heard anymore about this? There will be sod turning for a new Coastwatch nature study centre, a bird walk, a hedgerow walk and some discussions. I found the details in the paper are a bit hard to figure out.
Old Friday 3rd February 2006, 10:59   #79
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnasx1
I read in the paper about an event in Mornington this Saturday for World Wetlands Day. Has anyone heard anymore about this? There will be sod turning for a new Coastwatch nature study centre, a bird walk, a hedgerow walk and some discussions. I found the details in the paper are a bit hard to figure out.
Email with these details circulating:

Saturday Feb 4th World Wetland Days 06

Venue: Coastwatch Boyne fields, Mornington see map Organisers: Coastwatch
Time: 12.30 3.30 pm
Events: Variety of wetland celebration, information and action see program
Booking: very much appreciated but not essential,
Karin Dubsky [email protected] or 086 8111 684.
Aina Walsh [email protected]
Michael Gunn

PROGRAM: Coastwatch Boyne fields, Mornington, on the edge of the Boyne Estuary Ramsar site
11.00 Meeting with National Parks and Wildlife Service Coastwatchers only.
12.00 Onward Register for activities, information and challenges
12.30 A quick shared bite - Bring your own hot flask & cups; tuck into host picnic food
Music and getting ready for turning the sod for the mini wetland centre
12..50 The mini wetland centre: Karin Dubsky, Coastwatch, Mike Haslam, Solearth and . Meath Leader representative.
1. 00 Joint sod turning. If you want to be a turner, bring a spade, or even an old spoon.
1.10 Planting to remember World Wetland Day and symbolize Future Hopes
Mairead McGuinness MEP leads the planting together with one Northern
Ireland representative and one from the Republic.
A few minutes to find your group. or ask about architecture or conservation.

1.30 Group activities start: Discover our Boyne - From here I see, hear and smell.
Gather at relevant group flag. Activities take 15 to 30 minutes, so you may
participate in a second activity. First come, first served. Pre book or on the day
a. Mussels and boats - Leo Boyle Mussel Fisherman
b. Canoe demo - silver kayak club (tbc)
c. Hedgerow audit of Boyne field hedge and advice to plant a new native species wildlife hedge - Anja Murray An Taisce Biodiversity Officer
d. Birds feed, rest, shelter and shout. They have families just like you. Birdwatch Boyne Branch
e. Grassland management and golf links sods - the organic way
Stephen Hoey, Laytown and Mornington Golf club
f. The Boyne, saltmarshes, mudflats and channels, wading in life 1 for children as treasure hunt, 1 for adults Aina Walsh, Karin Dubsky, Michael Gunn, Coastwatch
g. Learn to make baskets or St Brigit crosses Jacinta Walsh

2. 20 Gather to celebrate together.
2.30 End
A pen, to jot down information
A sod turner spade, trawl or even a spoon
Willow thin branch freshly picked
Camera
Old Monday 6th February 2006, 10:44   #80
ardnasx1
Sandra

At Seabank yesterday there were redpoll, twite and linnets all together on the trees and hedges beside the carpark. Was able to get a great look at them, you could walk right up to them, there aren't shy. Also got a good look at several red breasted mergansers at Hermitage.

Herons have started their nesting process around Beaulieu Pond. (I know it's outside Dundalk Bay area so hope it's not a problem). Lots of them nest on an island on Beaulieu Pond every year and you can get a fantastic view of them feeding their young etc.
Old Thursday 9th February 2006, 11:36   #81
Freddie Vernon

Hi Sandra et al,

There was also 4 Long Tailed Ducks at Salterstown last weekend. This seems to be the time of year for them although Enda had 2 at Lurgangreen before Xmas. Speaking of Lurgangreen, visited the place on Saturday at full tide - what a wonderful place for wildfowl with good numbers of pintail and goldeneye close in on a flat calm. The only downer was the amount of fresh rubbish strewn about the place - everything from TV to sofa to refrigerator. Disgraceful.

Good Birding!!

Freddie.
Old Sunday 12th February 2006, 09:55   #82
gareth2005

Just a note. I see that Newry night college are holding classes on Bird identification. Just though i'd let ye all know.
Saw a Jay just off the Carrick/Ardee main road on the Tallanstown road.
Also 2 Buzzards besides the Dump outside Collon and 10 minutes up the road saw one sitting on the fence along the motorway at Dromiskin, its great to see these birds making such a comeback. i've even seen one down towards the old Macardle moore brewery on the Ardee road.
Old Monday 13th February 2006, 15:19   #83
breffni

Carlingford birding event

About 80 people showed for the talk by Eric Dempsey on Saturday night and about 50 turned up for the guided tour the following day, despite the drizzle. Also present were the Nationwide team from RTE who filmed both. There were 30 or so entries for the photo competition. Thanks to everyone concerned! Between the Dundalk and Carlingford events about 160 people showed up so we are planning to set up a local birdwatch ireland group for Dundalk Bay/Carlingford Lough (ie North Louth). If anyone is interested in this please send me a PM or email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eric carlingford.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	39481  
Old Friday 17th February 2006, 15:14   #84
ardnasx1
Sandra

Hi all

Just wondering what anyone thinks about widening the patch covered on this thread to Co Louth in general. Often the things I have to report, eg the greylags in Greenmount, aren't specifically Dundalk Bay and I'm never sure whether to post them or not. Let me know what yous think.

And on a south Louth note, there were a pair of shovelers on Beaulieu Pond this afternoon, first time I've seen one there.
Old Friday 17th February 2006, 19:36   #85
MargaretM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hi all

Just wondering what anyone thinks about widening the patch covered on this thread to Co Louth in general. Often the things I have to report, eg the greylags in Greenmount, aren't specifically Dundalk Bay and I'm never sure whether to post them or not. Let me know what yous think.

And on a south Louth note, there were a pair of shovelers on Beaulieu Pond this afternoon, first time I've seen one there.
That's a really good idea Sandra. Living between Dundalk and Drogheda, I like to travel both North and South and Co Louth is a small county!! I regularly go by Seabank, Salterstown, Dunany, Port, Clogherhead and on as far as Baltray/Beaulieu, hopefully this area is also of interest to people on this forum. What does anybody else think???
Old Sunday 19th February 2006, 11:10   #86
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretM
That's a really good idea Sandra. Living between Dundalk and Drogheda, I like to travel both North and South and Co Louth is a small county!! I regularly go by Seabank, Salterstown, Dunany, Port, Clogherhead and on as far as Baltray/Beaulieu, hopefully this area is also of interest to people on this forum. What does anybody else think???
Fine with me - that would include carlingford lough as well - not sure how to change the title of the thread though...

Did an iwebs count yesterday - waders and duck numbers starting to drop (wigeon way down). The black guillemots are in at giles quay, displaying and generally larking about (mornings when tide is high is best). Also at least 8 twite at the end of the shore road leading to marsh south and ring neck duck back at mell quarry (i wonder where this bird goes when not there?). Also persistent reports of a great white egret somewhere around drogheda (anybody know anything about this?) Also a hen harrier was seen around cruisetown area earlier in the week...

Last edited by breffni : Sunday 19th February 2006 at 11:21.
Old Sunday 19th February 2006, 19:35   #87
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by breffni
Fine with me - that would include carlingford lough as well - not sure how to change the title of the thread though...

Did an iwebs count yesterday - waders and duck numbers starting to drop (wigeon way down). The black guillemots are in at giles quay, displaying and generally larking about (mornings when tide is high is best). Also at least 8 twite at the end of the shore road leading to marsh south and ring neck duck back at mell quarry (i wonder where this bird goes when not there?). Also persistent reports of a great white egret somewhere around drogheda (anybody know anything about this?) Also a hen harrier was seen around cruisetown area earlier in the week...
Great stuff. If you want to change the title of the thread I think you can do that by editing the first ever posting.

Very exciting about the great white egret, haven't been lucky enough to spot it, and I don't know where it's meant to be. I'll post immediately if I see or hear anything.

Out and about today I didn't see anything outside the usuals except about 8 pintails at Lurgangreen.
Old Tuesday 21st February 2006, 13:50   #88
breffni

[quote=ardnasx1]Great stuff. If you want to change the title of the thread I think you can do that by editing the first ever posting.
[quote]

Did that but didn't seem to "take"...
Old Wednesday 22nd February 2006, 13:41   #89
Andrew Rowlands

How's the title look now Breffni?

Andy.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 23rd February 2006, 12:12   #90
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rowlands
How's the title look now Breffni?

Andy.
Great - thanks!

BTW that ring neck duck was back with the flock at Mell quarry yesterday...
Old Thursday 23rd February 2006, 12:59   #91
ardnasx1
Sandra

Quote:
Great - thanks!

BTW that ring neck duck was back with the flock at Mell quarry yesterday...
That's great, it's appreciated!

How do you get into Mell quarry to have a look, where do you go?
Old Friday 24th February 2006, 00:06   #92
breffni

Quote:
That's great, it's appreciated!

How do you get into Mell quarry to have a look, where do you go?
heading just north of drogheda on the old road before the roundabout to the m50 there is an old quarry to the left. Park and cross the road where there is a break in the wire. You climb about 20m and then see a large pond in a disused quarry - its usually empty but sometimes there is a flock of tufted duck with a ring neck drake among them...

Last edited by breffni : Friday 24th February 2006 at 00:08.
Old Sunday 26th February 2006, 14:59   #93
sav

Like the new title. I'll do my best to chip in with my Carlingford Lough and Cooley peninsula sightings when I'm back in Ireland. Planning to be there for next three weeks.
Old Monday 27th February 2006, 17:29   #94
breffni

Five species of geese on show at lurgangreen yesterday: greylag, pink footed, pale bellied brent, barnacle and white fronted. To view birds, park at the lurgangreen cul de sac (just by the river fane on the road to castlebellingham from dundalk). Then walk south along the shore, under a fence and onto the grassy bank to get a bit of height. Birds generally browsing around the saltmarsh (but they are very nervous and will depart if you approach too closely...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	barnacle goose lurgangreen feb 06.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	40249  Click image for larger version

Name:	greylag with pink foot geese lurgangreen feb 06.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	40250  Click image for larger version

Name:	pinkfooted geese wt pale bellied brent feb o6 lurgangreen.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	40251  
Old Tuesday 28th February 2006, 17:55   #95
sav

Spent most of today in and around Dundalk Bay (Annagassan, Lurgangreen, Blackrock, Dundalk Harbour) and Cooley (Gile's Quay, Carlingford). Birds were excellent in between the snow showers, especially at Lurgangreen where the geese (greyalg, white-fronts, brent and 2 pink-feet) showed really well this afternoon (thanks for your directions breffni). I saw a Barnacle Goose fly south past Blackrock at high tide. Lots of waders too- huge numbers of knot and golden plover, and many others besides. Sea watching was abit quieter but I still managed Salvonian grebe at Annagassan and Red throated & G N divers at Giles Quay, along with plenty of scoter, mergansers GC, grebes etc. Also managed peregrine, yellowhammer, stonechat, fulmar, raven, twite, pintail etc etc. A fantastic day! Look forward to next trip across the border!
Old Friday 3rd March 2006, 18:01   #96
breffni

Yesterday Dundalk bay was like a mirror from hermitage - in the clear sunlight you could see divers far out at sea - i counted over 1000 common scoter, long tail duck, dozens of gc grebes (displaying), rb mergs, red throat divers coming into sum plum, great northern divers ditto...at the church by hermitage a jay (first time i succeeded in photographing one, albiet from about a mile away) and large flock of mixed finches. A few pink foot geese still around at lurgangreen, no sign of the barnacle, black guillemots in at giles displaying and a black redstart was seen at greenore, probably still there (though i failed to find it this morning)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	black guillemots giles quay w march 06.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	40525  Click image for larger version

Name:	jay hermitage feb 06.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	40527  
Old Tuesday 7th March 2006, 14:25   #97
ardnasx1
Sandra

Mell quarry

Quote:
heading just north of drogheda on the old road before the roundabout to the m50 there is an old quarry to the left. Park and cross the road where there is a break in the wire. You climb about 20m and then see a large pond in a disused quarry - its usually empty but sometimes there is a flock of tufted duck with a ring neck drake among them...
Thanks for the directions.

Was up there today and saw 20+ pochard, several tufted ducks, great crested grebes, coots and swans. Visibility was so bad I couldn't see if the ring neck was there but I'll be keen to get back there once the weather clears up a bit. Seems like a good spot.
Old Sunday 12th March 2006, 22:11   #98
MargaretM

Checked out Mell Quarry today. It looked quiet when I arrived but on scanning the lake there were indeed pochards, tufded, just one ring necked, great crested grebes, swans, coots, moorhens, dab chicks, mallards and a couple of gulls nesting. It's a lovely tranquil spot on the edge of the town, very convenient so long as they leave that gap in the fence!!
Old Tuesday 14th March 2006, 20:12   #99
sav

Another good day for me south of the border today. Lovely weather (mostly) and fantastic selection of birds. Visited the following:

Started off early this morning at Mell Quarry. No sign of the ring-necked duck but lots of other good birds including peregrine, stock doves, pochard, tufted duck, Little & GC grebes, and wierdly, a fulmar, which flew round a few times and then settled on the quarry wall - are they regular there?. There was also a very odd looking jackdaw with all-white wings and a bit of white around its neck.

Between Clogherhead and Annagassan: over 1500 Common Scoter (offshore at Port), with 3 GN Divers, lots of GC Grebes, RB Mergansers, Red-throated Divers, Goldeneye. 1 ad gannet flew north. Also kestel, sparrowhawk, yellowhammer, stock dove, stonechat, among others. 11 Little Gulls were off Annagassan - very nice views of them. Also, 2 hares, 1 male Brambling, and a common snipe in field near Dunany Pt, with loads of chaffinch and linnet.

At Lurgangreen, with tide starting to go out, there were hundreds (thousands?) of knot and golden plover, with many other waders, including 6 stunning Greenshank close in. A winter plumage Slavonian Grebe was fishing close to the shore. Also many duck including at least 35 Pintail. Geese showing really well this afternoon on the saltmarsh - counted 12 White-ftonts, 4 Pink-feet and many greylag. Strangest bird of the day was a very pale sandy coloured Brent Goose in with 90+ Pale-bellied Brent, getting pecked and chased by the others. Best of all was female merlin sat on post in front of the geese, just a few hundred feet from me - superb!

Finished off the day at Gile's Quay in flat calm conditions - more GN Divers (6) and RN Divers (4), plus Black Guillemot, scoter, mergansers and grebes, and rock pipit in the car park.

Top day!
Old Wednesday 15th March 2006, 16:38   #100
breffni

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav
Finished off the day at Gile's Quay in flat calm conditions - more GN Divers (6) and RN Divers (4), plus Black Guillemot, scoter, mergansers and grebes, and rock pipit in the car park.

Top day!
Great day out - the little gulls are impressive. A few other signtings over the last 10 or so days include:
* Black Redstart at Greenore (stayed only a few hours after being found)
* Mealy Redpoll still hanging around fields opposite Crusetown
* Shoveler at Lurgangreen (a bit atypical)
* Swallow reported for Dundalk 6th march
* White wag at Soldiers point area
* Twite at Green avenue, Dundalk
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: