• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden Estuary News (1 Viewer)

Friday morning at the Eden Estuary produced a lifer for me with the appearance of three Curlew Sandpiper. Other noteworthies were two Kingfishers, three Osprey, five Ruff, four Greenshank and a Pintail.

Attachments

• DSCN3639.jpg
    DSCN3639.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN3584.jpg
    DSCN3584.jpg
    676.2 KB · Views: 54
Garganey

I received the text alert at about twenty to three yesterday afternoon. Fifty minutes later, I was entering the centre with hope that I would find the reported Garganey; two of which had been reported there.

I thought the centre would have been busy with Garganey watching birders, but there was only one other birder there. His greeting, coupled with a "nothing happening", was not encouraging.

The tide was high, with the mud flats totally submerged. I set the scope up and concentrated on the birds that were on the salt marsh. Four Little Egret and a Whimbrel became evident. Birds that had also been on the text alert. My fellow birder had been there for a couple of hours, but had not seen Garganey. It looked like I was too late.

I started working my way through the birds on the marsh. Black-Tailed Godwit, some showing summer colouration were predominant. Shelduck, the Egrets, the wandering Whimbrel, Teal and Wigeon were evident. Then I noticed a bird that despite being settled in the long grass with most of its head under its wing, had a noticeable white marking on its face. I checked the plumage I could see, in one of the centres reference books, and I was happy that I had a confirmed Garganey.

Knowing that Stonefaction (Barry) was out and about somewhere, I started to put together a text to see if he was in range. I needn't have bothered, as he came in the door before I'd finished the text. He and his companions were just in time to see the duck, as it repositioned itself out of sight, in a gulley, minutes later.

A far off bird on a post had given hope that it may have been a W-T Eagle, but Barry was able to confirm with his camera zoom, that it was an Osprey. Still a year tick for me to go with the Whimbrel and Garganey lifer.

As the tide started to recede, a group of ducks headed out of the gulley onto the water, mainly Teal, but with the two reported drake Garganey leading the way. They flew off a short distance at one point, but were still paddling about when I left.

Attachments

• Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I put the news out very quickly. I had to revise my text to Malcolm - found one, sent text, found the other, sent another text! Glad you got them.
Tried to revise whimbrel and egret numbers but he had already put the news out!

Rob

I put the news out very quickly. I had to revise my text to Malcolm - found one, sent text, found the other, sent another text! Glad you got them.
Tried to revise whimbrel and egret numbers but he had already put the news out!

Rob

Many thanks for that Rob. The Garganey has been high on my wish list for a while. :t:

Friday was my first outing since Covid-19 hit. With plenty of birds missing off my year list, I headed to the Eden Estuary, with Curlew Sandpiper and Spotted Redshank high on the target list, both of which had been reported there during the week.

I arrived at first light, with high tide due at nine-ish. The centre remains closed, so I set up in the wooden shelter to the side of the building. As the light improved, I soon found a Spotted Redshank in amongst the Common Redshanks assembled directly across the river, at the edge of the river. Somehow, I missed the bird that was in almost full summer black plumage, but picked out the winter plumage bird. My photos later showed me the summer plumage bird.

A little later, I started to find Curlew Sandpipers. This is a bird I've only seen once before, and at long distance, so I was pleased to get much better views of seven of them. The light was awful due to heavy cloud, but I've attached a record shot anyway.

Also present was a Kingfisher, an Osprey and the White-Tailed Eagle put in a distant appearance. All of which were year ticks, even though I have not bothered with a year list for 2020.

Attachments

• DSCN7541.jpg
    DSCN7541.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN7621.jpg
    DSCN7621.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back