• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruckinge Kent info request (1 Viewer)

Stranger

I shall be spending the Easter break at Lords farm near Ruckinge Kent and would like to know of any birding sites within reasonable cycling distance.

It depends how fit you are ...... if a fit & keen cyclist you could get down to Dungeness RSPB reserve & Bird obs. Nearer to hand you could visit Ham Street Wood - just to the north of that village. If you can get to Ham Street station you might also like to catch the train to Rye where you could cycle (or catch the bus) to Rye harbour nature reserve,

John

Can't add anything to John's suggestion.

I live in Ashford so I know Ham Street is well worth a visit but if you go there take your wellies. At this time of year it can be very muddy indeed. Shame it is too early for nightingales - a great place for them.

Last edited:
It depends how fit you are ...... if a fit & keen cyclist you could get down to Dungeness RSPB reserve & Bird obs. Nearer to hand you could visit Ham Street Wood - just to the north of that village. If you can get to Ham Street station you might also like to catch the train to Rye where you could cycle (or catch the bus) to Rye harbour nature reserve,

John
Thanks John and Robinm
Will probably visit Ham Street Wood and maybe fit one of the others in if it ties in with wife`s desire to see the places she used to stay with her Grandfather as a child.
I have not cycled any great distance for over a year so will have to wait and see how I get on.

Hi John and RobinM
Decided not to take the bikes as my sister-in-law is awaiting a hip replacement and thougt cycling would be too much for her and brought the car instead.
Weather conditionS were pretty extreme,but did manage to spend a couple of hours at Rye NR,Dungeness RSPB site and Samphire Hoe,Dover.
Nothing unusual seen,probably due to the weather,but excellent sites which I intend to visit again in the near future.
The circular walk from Lords farm along the Military canal produced some good views of Reed Bunting.Yellowhammer and Hares
Did`nt get to Ham St Wood as I had intended due to problems with the camper van so will put that top of the list for my next visit.
Thanks again for the gen.

Yes it was pretty dire weather wise over the weekend. I had a quick trip down to Dungeness on saturday where I caught up with the Slavonian Grebe and had a Merlin, but it wasn't the best day to be out & about,

John

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back