• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (5 Viewers)

Adult Iceland

Two Icelands present today, with one of them definitely being a fresh in bird, as unusually, it was an adult. I've only seen one adult previously.

Attachments

• DSCF0167 RSZ.jpg
    DSCF0167 RSZ.jpg
    778.2 KB · Views: 60
Plastic

My week has been interrupted with a short trip onshore from Tuesday to Friday. From Sunday to Tuesday, I was seeing a 1st winter Iceland hanging about, then yesterday and today, I've seen what looks to be the same bird.

Other birds present today have been GBBG (2), Kittiwake (5) and Fulmar (1). So, not much happening.

In recent times, there has been a lot of publicity concerning plastic waste in the seas and its affect on wildlife. Even before the recent publicity, I've noted a lot more plastic floating by over the last year or so. Yesterday, a party balloon with red streamer went past on the water surface. Later in the day I saw a woven plastic sack floating on the water. A couple of Common Seals were playing with it. One of them was lying on top of it, then spinning to wrap the sack around itself.

Not good! |=(|

Ducking and Diving

I received a call yesterday that there was a "duck or goose" under the north side of the platform. It was described as black and white, with red on it. I hurried along to the north side, but the original spotter had lost track of it. A bit of looking about though, and I relocated the bird off the west side.

The bird was keeping its distance a little, but was obviously a Red-breasted Merganser. A first for the platform, and an offshore rarity, with only 13 NSBC reports in nearly forty years, although a few of the reports are of groups of 6-8 birds.

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
2) Great Black-Backed Gull
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
10) Red-Breasted Merganser

Attachments

• R B Merg RSZ.jpg
    R B Merg RSZ.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Gosh!!! Well done that spotter.

You've had a grand start to the year, haven't you Paul.

You've had a grand start to the year, haven't you Paul.

Yes, I think with the Merganser, I've had a pretty solid start. I had a few birds more at this time last year, but the early months of 2017 and it's spring were exceptional. Just a pity the autumn was a little bit of a let down.

Looking forward to seeing what else turns up in 2018. :t:

Great job with the merganser! Always a surprise to be found in the North Sea it seems, at least by the sharp observer.

Keep up the good work. I really enjoy your updates and check nearly every day for them.

Beast from the East

It has been a little chilly over the last few days with what the papers have dubbed the Beast from the East. Wind chill factor yesterday was down at minus 15 deg.C. Today, we are up to a balmy minus 9 deg.C.

The 1W Iceland Gull is now well into the second week of its stay here. A few GBBGs are also resident with a few passing Herring Gulls from time to time. Kittiwakes are the most prevalent species at the moment with eleven counted at one time yesterday. Seven today.

Occasional Gannet turning up, with one yesterday coming in really close, then diving into the wash around the platform's legs. It repeated this several times, and I'm fairly sure it was rewarded with a fish on the last effort I observed.

Roll on springtime!

No change in the birds present. The 1w Iceland still remains with us, and we also have a resident Gannet. I rarely see Gannets sitting on the sea surface out here, but we have one that is spending a lot of time doing just that. Usually my Gannet sightings are of passing birds, but this one seems to have set up camp. I also see it in the air, and diving for fish, so it's not injured. And it looks in good condition.

I am supposed to be heading home today, but chopper is on hold due to trigger lightening. If i get away, this will be my last live update for a few weeks, however, the NSBC annual report for 2016 is due out any day now, so I will post a summary of the highlights once I receive it. :t:

NSBC 2016 Annual report

I received the North Sea Bird Club 2016 Annual report today. It was certainly a good year for species, with wildfowl in particular having a strong representation.

Several North Sea rarities were recorded, including my Icterine Warbler, Velvet Scoter and Little Bunting. Other confirmed NS rarities included Hobby, Bee-eater, Scaup, Mute Swan, Goldeneye, Spotted Redshank, Sand Martin, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blue-Headed Wagtail, Firecrest and Rock Pipit.

Rarites reported, but not accepted by the rarities committee due to poor or no description, were Honey Buzzard, Bean Goose, Little Ringed Plover, Greenish Warbler, Yellow-Browed Warbler, Red-Backed Shrike and Great Grey Grey Shrike.

Stars of 2016 were however, two club firsts, with Rock Dove and Ortolan Bunting. Sadly, the Rock Dove was confirmed by comparing the deceased bird's corpse against museum specimens. Ortolan Bunting was confirmed by photograph.

2016's reporters only numbered twelve (one of which only reported a single bird - the Bee-eater). This is a reflection of the downturn in the oil industry, with several long term reporters retiring or being made redundant. A decision on the future of the club is to be made in the next couple of years. Hopefully, it will carry on long beyond the fortieth birthday it will celebrate in 2019.

Last edited:
I returned to the platform on Wednesday to reports of another owl being spotted the week before. Most probably a S-E Owl judging by the descriptions.

It has been a rough few days, with more cold winds piling in from the east. Sightings have been dominated by Gannet (16 today). There must be a lot of fish in the area, as they are staying in close proximity, and constantly diving. When sitting on the water, they are often seen ducking their heads in to look for their prey.

As I wrote on a previous post last month, all this is unusual for Gannets here. Normally, we see them pass by, and maybe fishing at distance, but we have hardly ever seen them sitting on the surface and making themselves at home.

Also present have been Kittiwake, Herring Gull, GBBG and Fulmar. Today though, I found a couple of surprise turn ups. Mixing with the dozen Kittiwakes that were counted, was a Black-Headed Gull. We don't usually get many, and certainly not usually this early. Also seen today was the first Starling of the year.

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling

Attachments

• Gann 1.jpg
    Gann 1.jpg
    739.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Gann 2.jpg
    Gann 2.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 25
  • kitti.jpg
    kitti.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 32
Wind speed has dropped, but it is still chilly and coming from the east. Yesterday saw a flock of about fifty Herring Gulls arrive, but they left later in the day. More notable was a brief visit from our first Guillemot of the year.

Starlings are still trickling through, and yesterday, something smaller went whizzing by, but no ID could be made.

Today, we have had a couple more BHG around, but it has been very quiet otherwise.

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot

April

April has arrived with bright sun and a light wind from the NNW. This seems to be encouraging further spring migration, as we have had two new arrivals to the platform.

First thing this morning, a Robin was reported to me. A few hours later, I spotted either the same bird or another Robin on the wing.

Bird of the day so far though has to go to a Grey Wagtail I found hopping about down on the Spider Deck. The NSBC lists this species as uncommon offshore, so I am very happy to get one for the second year running, especially as the annual report for 2016 only shows one record for the North Sea.

A few hours after seeing the wagtail, I saw a Grey Wagtail again, that was either the same bird or a second. I saw it flying in off the sea, so I actually suspect it is a second bird, but will only report one, as it is impossible to be sure it was not the original bird.

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail

Winter Returns

Winter has just barged its way back in. Snow showers and a cold easterly.

Very little bird activity, however, our first Common Gulls of the year confirmed. I've been seeing distant gulls, that I suspect were Commons, for a few days, but a pair seen much closer in today are the first I have been sure of.

2018 List Updated
1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull

Weather is awful. Wet and cold with strong wind from the east.

Only four GBBGs, four Kittiwakes, two BHGs and a Fulmar seen this morning, however, Blackbird spotted flying past at lunchtime.

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird

More Gulls & Migrants.

Yesterday ended on a high note, when my attention was drawn by some Gannets flying by, just before I entered the accommodation at the end of my day. The big bonus was as I watched the Gannets, I also found an adult Iceland Gull on the wing.

This morning the gull theme continued with a new, although expected, addition to the year's species list. Two Lesser Black-Backed Gulls were the the new arrivals.

Shortly after spotting the LBBGs, I came across a bird that I failed to identify. I only got a glimpse, but thought it may have been a Song Thrush, but did not record it as it may have been a female Blackbird.

Later in the day though, I found two migrants up at the Helideck area, and this time I was happy that they were Song Thrush.

2018 List Updated

1) Cormorant
3) Herring Gull
4) Kittiwake
5) Fulmar
6) Glaucous Gull
7) Gannet
8) Short-Eared Owl*
9) Iceland Gull
11) Black-Headed Gull
12) Starling
13) Guillemot
14) Robin
15) Grey Wagtail
16) Common Gull
17) Blackbird
18) Lesser Black-Backed Gull
19) Song Thrush

Migration conditions have been perfect for two days, with light westerlies. Birds have been notable by their absense. I'm fed up!

Aaaaw!!! It's just not fair, is it Paul.

Hope things pick up for you soon laddie.

Woodcock Bonanza

Hope things pick up for you soon laddie.

Things picked up big time this morning. :t:

Huge flock of Blackbird passed through, along with many Robin. And a load of Woodcock - an offshore tick for me.

Hard to quantify how many Woodcock there were, but at least a dozen and possibly two or three dozen. One landed a few feet from me, so good views had.

I also found a S-E Owl, and had three Curlew reported to me.

I'm definitely feeling happier today!

Attachments

• WC1.jpg
    WC1.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 87
  • WC2.jpg
    WC2.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 81
  • WC3.jpg
    WC3.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 80
  • WC4.jpg