• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus Problem (1 Viewer)

I found a thread called exposure 101 is there a Focus 101?

How is it possible that I get indication that a focus lock has occured and I have good focus showing on the screen and in the digital viewfinder and yet I still get an incredibably out of focus image with not one area of the print in focus? I always use spot.

Is it more difficult to focus on a red bird? Does color (wavelength) have any effect on autofocus?

This has occured with my PanyFZ50, handheld and my Pany Fx33 on my Leica scope using the Leica adapter and a carbon fiber tripod with a good head and a cable release. I don't have a vibration problem.

I have good focus showing on the screen and in the digital viewfinder and yet I still get an incredibably out of focus image with not one area of the print in focus?
For this to happen, it seems to me that it must be caused by camera shake. If it looks as though it is pretty well in focus on the screen with the shutter half depressed (I assume this is what you are doing), and then the resulting picture has NOTHING in focus, it must be camera shake - i.e. something is causing the blurring at the very moment of shutter release.

In the digiscoping scenario, it could be that the scope is not in true focus, of course. The small LCD on the camera doesn't have enough resolution to easily tell whether everything is in perfect focus. However, you do make it sound that things are really badly out of focus in the resulting image, which probably would be viewable on the screen. Again, sounds like camera shake.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back