• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (1 Viewer)

A nice double whammy there Ken, every time I think I may have a skulking Whitethroat or Garden Warbler in the hawthorn edging our field it turns out to be a female/juv Blackcap :-C

FWIW Richard....giving away trade secrets here ;) if the forecast is for little/to no wind and HP, then an early start can catch migrants on the move, not just today but earlier in the week I had most activity between 6.15-7.15am after which it tailed off (stuff still moving) but fewer movements.

I’m not expecting any more regular trans Saharan’s says he...who doesn’t get either of those on a regular annual basis...I suppose I’ll have to wait for the “rares” now. ;)

I've only ever seen one! Great garden bird for sure.

74. Cedar Waxwing They've been in the area a lot, just had to be in outside at the right time to hear them and see them fly over.

The young warblers are starting to come through now, and there are a couple of species I missed in the garden earlier in the year.

Only a matter of time Jasper before you leave me trailing in your wake, for me everything now is even more of a bonus! :t:

FWIW Richard....giving away trade secrets here ;) if the forecast is for little/to no wind and HP, then an early start can catch migrants on the move, not just today but earlier in the week I had most activity between 6.15-7.15am after which it tailed off (stuff still moving) but fewer movements.

It's probably an altitude thing (cooler at dawn, no insects moving?), but here it's often a bit later before things start appearing. After a busy morning of chores I was having a lazy afternoon scanning the mountains to our East and was pleased to see the Short-toed Eagle hunting as eight Griffon Vultures and c50 Alpine Choughs wheeled around. Then a violent and windy thunderstorm ripped through, followed by the return of the calm, with it appeared not one, but two

77 Spotted Flycatcher :t:

Two days later than last year's first one. Funnily enough to begin with they were by the famous hawthorn to which I have previously referred. After a bit of flycatching they both flew towards the house, perching briefly at the top of the overgrown leylandii (due to be chopped down this autumn), whereupon one of them launched a mock attack on the other (see photo). All good fun!

Attachments

• g g 11.8.2019.jpg
    g g 11.8.2019.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 18
Only a matter of time Jasper before you leave me trailing in your wake, for me everything now is even more of a bonus! :t:

Well, according to numbers, I have another 9 species to catch up with my total from last year, but I'm struggling to work out what they would be!

One warbler down though, with the nicest view I've had of 75 Canada Warbler whilst at home. Photo taken from my armchair - lazy birding!

Attachments

• Canada lovely small.jpg
    Canada lovely small.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 17
It's probably an altitude thing (cooler at dawn, no insects moving?), but here it's often a bit later before things start appearing. After a busy morning of chores I was having a lazy afternoon scanning the mountains to our East and was pleased to see the Short-toed Eagle hunting as eight Griffon Vultures and c50 Alpine Choughs wheeled around. Then a violent and windy thunderstorm ripped through, followed by the return of the calm, with it appeared not one, but two

77 Spotted Flycatcher :t:

Two days later than last year's first one. Funnily enough to begin with they were by the famous hawthorn to which I have previously referred. After a bit of flycatching they both flew towards the house, perching briefly at the top of the overgrown leylandii (due to be chopped down this autumn), whereupon one of them launched a mock attack on the other (see photo). All good fun!

A-h-h-h! beloved Spotfly, haven’t had one of those for a few years now, used to be an annual regular :-C . On the + side my 2nd Common Whitethroat of the year, certainly not of annual occurrence for me, should be less windy tomorrow thus I’ll keep the mince pies pealed!

Well, according to numbers, I have another 9 species to catch up with my total from last year, but I'm struggling to work out what they would be!

One warbler down though, with the nicest view I've had of 75 Canada Warbler whilst at home. Photo taken from my armchair - lazy birding!

Lazy Birding!....I’m all for that :t:, Canada Warbler...a top drawer bird! Looking forward to seeing another soon...perhaps next year, I’ll be due for a Central Park trip by then.

Happy to have a couple of migrants drift through this morning.

77. Great Egret (f)
78. Yellow Warbler

Must keep up with Richard and the others!;)

A very Lively early am!...to include a long staying (2 hours) Imm.Sprawk, which in turn attracted the attention of many ''small-bies'' to include- an unprecedented 3rd occurrence of Common Whitethroat (which in turn sat above the Sprawk, right out in the open for 15 minutes :eek!:) in less than 5 days! Plus at least 4-5 Phylloscs. Chiff Chaffs, Willow Warblers etc. and a male Chaffinch! (only the 2nd one this Summer!) a great haul but no ticks!...not complaining though-big blue with assorted Cumulus and a yellow duster. ;)

Attachments

• P2000088.jpeg    Imm.Sprawk 02..jpg
    P2000088.jpeg Imm.Sprawk 02..jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P2000129.jpeg    Wobbler 01.jpeg
    P2000129.jpeg Wobbler 01.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P2000111.jpeg  It Peckers belief...jpg
    P2000111.jpeg It Peckers belief...jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 20
Autumn in the air, 140 Cranes passed over yesterday, plus Nutcrackers back in the hazel groves, White Storks departed, Red-backed Shrikes fledged young.

Nice collection of additions for the year:
114. Lesser Spotted Eagle
115. Water Rail
116. Long-eared Owl
117. Wryneck
119. Nutcracker

Autumn in the air, 140 Cranes passed over yesterday, plus Nutcrackers back in the hazel groves, White Storks departed, Red-backed Shrikes fledged young.

Nice collection of additions for the year:
114. Lesser Spotted Eagle
115. Water Rail
116. Long-eared Owl
117. Wryneck
119. Nutcracker

Nice indeed Jos! I’d be lucky to see the first four but like you, we are seeing a lot of Nutcracker hazelnut raiders now. Our shrikes are also all fledged and moved off but apart from another Spotted Flycatcher this morning it’s quiet migrant-wise.

An evening nighthawk watch produced no nighthawks. Instead, I got a yard lifer, picked out by the 9-year old "apprentice"!

79. Cliff Swallow (f) (yard lifer)

I must say, I'm happy to see them, but it's really an overdue yard bird. Just needed proper timing and some extra effort.

Last edited:
Hello to all , at last I am back on here . Changed my computer which was extremely necessary !
70+ Starlings mostly very juvenile looking were around yesterday then suddenly all flew off .

#65. Red Crossbill - Thought none of the three birds was red... :smoke:
I think this was just a second or third time I manage to saw this species from my yard.

Another one down! Excellent views of a

80. Merlin (f)

as it zipped south over the housetops. A brief warbler sighting suggested American Redstart, but I'll need a better view for it to make the list. Other highlights were a Purple Martin and a sky-high Blue-gray Gnatcatcher.

Two unusual birds feeding on the short grass beneath my feeders, a Tree Pipit (also bathing) and a non-annual Common Redstart.

121. Common Redstart.

August 25th.

69 Teal - flock of 7 flew north

Generally very, very quiet of late with just the odd Yellow Wagtail seeping over to show that it is autumn.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back