• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Most Recent "Life" Bird (3 Viewers)

Young Male Great Spotted Woodpecker I think it's the son of the female Great Spotted Woodpecker that regularly visits my feeder.

wow..totally forgot to post here

Research and poverty (lol) has recently kept me from adding much of anything new to my lifelist. A new job and along with a move to a new area of the country I have never lived in has put me in position to add some new species to my lifelist.

This past weekend, I was able to finally add Saltmarsh and Seaside Sparrow, breeding birds on Long Island. No idea what new bird might be next, although I should really be concentrating on shorebirds at this time of year.

Japanese White-eye, Varied Tit and Japanese Pygmy Woodpecker, in the same binocular view at the Meiji Shrine. Trumped as a birding experience by eye level views of a perched Goshawk 10 minutes later!

Three this week on a pelagic trip in the Gulf of Maine:

Great Skua
Leach's Storm-Petrel
Cory's Shearwater

plus stunning views of a Mackerel Shark hanging out at the water's surface, and best-ever looks at a couple Ocean Sunfish

My ninth and tenth lifers of the year on my recent holiday in Spain:

456: Great Spotted Cuckoo
457: Black-eared Wheatear

I had 79 lifers in just three days in Kenya's Kakamega Forest, despite it being my 9th trip to Kenya! They included Turner's Eremomela, Kakamega Greenbul, Ross's and Great Blue Turacos, Red-chested Owlet, Grey Parrot and Blue-headed Bee-eater. The last was African Shrike-flycatcher. What an awesome place!

Since last update I have heard one new species: Water Rail (At Pori, West-coast of Finland). And seen couple: Eurasian Dotterel and Pallid Harrier (Kouvola, South-East Finland).

I saw my first Northern Shoveler yesterday! Not too exciting, but I instantly recognized it because I've been wanting to see one for some time now.

Small Buttonquail, the last of 300 lifers in Zambia (and a few at Bole Airport in Addis Abeba).
Some localised highlights were Black-cheeked Lovebird, Chaplin's Barbet, Grimwood's Longclaw and the amazingly difficult Miombo Rock-Thrush; more widespread stuff that I enjoyed included Lappet-faced Vulture, Wattled Crane, various turacos and mousebirds.

I had five lifers today at Mount Coot-tha Forest in Queensland, with Rufous Fantail, Scarlet Myzomela, Spectacled Monarch, Spotted Pardalote and Eastern Whipbird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back