• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1st Spotting Scope; RSPB AG80? Opticron IS60? (1 Viewer)

shpong

Hi, I'm looking to buy my first spotting scope.
My overall budget is £400-£500 to purchase scope, tripod and case.
So much mixed advice.

Has anyone any views or advice as to my first kit.

RSPB Dungeness recommended the AG80 kit. But unable to find much information about it. Also seems that the Opticron is quite popular.

I want to be able to digiscope too.

All advice gratefully received.

Nb Would you recommend a fixed or zoom lens ;0)
Col;0)

Last edited:
I prefer fixed e/ps. They're brighter and have wider field of view and simply a better view. I have never used a zoom that was satisfactory over about 32x because of heat haze and atmospheric pollution.

I also second what Simmojunior says. Secondhand will give you much more for your money. Take a look on the for sale threads here on BF.

I prefer fixed e/ps. They're brighter and have wider field of view and simply a better view. I have never used a zoom that was satisfactory over about 32x because of heat haze and atmospheric pollution.

I also second what Simmojunior says. Secondhand will give you much more for your money. Take a look on the for sale threads here on BF.

Seconded! (Fixed ep's and 2nd hand)

For example, take a look here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=183782 Nikon ED50 for sale. Seller is considering splitting so you will probably get the body and 27x lens (the best combo) for under £500. Smaller scope than you have considered so far but it is highly recommended by others and in good light will give a better image than either of the two you mentioned.

There will be others along if you are patient and want to wait for a bigger scope. However, if you would rather buy new (I tend to myself) the IS range is good value for money. I used to own the non-ED, non waterproof version of the IS60 and was very happy with it when combined with the IS25x lens. It didn't work so well with the HDF zoom which at the time was Opticron's top of the range lens.

By the way I have no link with the above mentioned seller.

Perry

Last edited:
Thanks all for your advice...
I think the Opticron ES80 is the way to go, and in an ideal world the SDLv2 lens. So some more pennies need to be saved first.
Now on with the task of choosing a stable/sturdy tripod.
In then meantime I aim to try a few more scopes and going to the optics day at rspb dungeness in November.

I think the Opticron ES80 is the way to go, and in an ideal world the SDLv2 lens. So some more pennies need to be saved first.
In then meantime I aim to try a few more scopes and going to the optics day at rspb dungeness in November.

I hope you mean the ED version if you want to digiscope with it?

In Focus do a decent aluminium velbon tripod at a greatly reduced price when you buy a scope from them. Worth bearing in mind. See here http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/opticron.html#telescopes

In Focus do a decent aluminium velbon tripod at a greatly reduced price when you buy a scope from them. Worth bearing in mind. See here http://www.at-infocus.co.uk/opticron.html#telescopes

Thanks Perry,
Buying an all encompassing setup from 1 source certainly seems to ensure a discount.
I'll have a good look at that site.
Having spoken to Opticron themselves and also SWOptics, I very much fancy one of the Opticron Digiscoping bundles from them:
http://www.swoptics.co.uk/list.asp?CAT=22
The HDF Zoom attracts £125 discount.

But.. That is far more than I currently have saved.

But as I'm still exploring what scope and lens to buy, I'll keep saving and then maybe, just maybe ;0)

In the meantime, all advice welcome!

Velbon Sherpa has been recommended to me by a couple of others too. But even then there's various models!
Is nothing easy! lol..
The SWOptics package offers the Velbon Sherpa 450R which seems to get good reviews with a little worry over the sturdiness at maximum height, which I don't think would be an issue with a 45o scope?

Velbon Sherpa has been recommended to me by a couple of others too. But even then there's various models!
Is nothing easy! lol..
The SWOptics package offers the Velbon Sherpa 450R which seems to get good reviews with a little worry over the sturdiness at maximum height, which I don't think would be an issue with a 45o scope?

Looks like the one that I got when I got my ES80ED (from in-focus!), though mine didn't have the geared centre column. I felt the tripod was perfectly adequate though I didn't ever extend the centre column to it's full height (I'm 5'10'')

Perry

I think the Opticron ES80 is the way to go, and in an ideal world the SDLv2 lens.

If you haven't already done so try it with the HDF zoom as well. Then you'll definitely want to go for the SDLv2, it is a very big improvement. They have the Opticron kit (and Hawke) at Essex Wildlife Trust optics days.

K

One thing to bear in mind is that the SDL eyepiece is totally waterproof which means that scope and eyepiece will withstand a short period of complete immersion in water, the HDF eyepiece isn't so rainy days are something to be careful about, you don't want to get any water in the eyepiece. I went for the SDL eyepiece for this reason when I bought my Opticron scope. I had a pair of bins ruined through water penetration when caught in a cloudburst at Minsmere, so have since then always gone for the waterproof option.

One thing to bear in mind is that the SDL eyepiece is totally waterproof which means that scope and eyepiece will withstand a short period of complete immersion in water, the HDF eyepiece isn't so rainy days are something to be careful about, you don't want to get any water in the eyepiece. I went for the SDL eyepiece for this reason when I bought my Opticron scope. I had a pair of bins ruined through water penetration when caught in a cloudburst at Minsmere, so have since then always gone for the waterproof option.

Thanks Keith,

That's very valuable information.
Everyone has told me the scope and case are waterproof, so I never gave the weak link a thought!
Given the SDL eyepiece is apparently far better for digiscoping, and the expense overall in putting together this kit, a little bit more on a Waterproof eyepiece is a no brainer.

Guess I'll have to carry on saving a bit longer.. :0)

Cheers

Colin

The case might be waterproof but there is a gap between the bit of the case that covers the eyepiece and that which covers the body through which rain can and will get. I got caught out in a real downpour on the N. Norfolk coast and was so grateful thet the Kowa 823 scope I was using then was fully waterproof (body and eyepiece). I'd got the stay on case on the scope but by the time I'd got back to the hotel the case was sopping wet and the whole scope needed a good towelling down to get rid of the water. The case needed 2 days to dry out properly but the scope and eyepiece were sound, at times like that waterproofing is a godsend.

Disagree, I can´t remember how many times I have needed the +40x magnification for a positive ID, I find it strange that you guys does not also need high magnification for waders etc. Heat haze and atmospheric pollution is not common here in Sweden at least.

If you haven't already done so try it with the HDF zoom as well. Then you'll definitely want to go for the SDLv2, it is a very big improvement. They have the Opticron kit (and Hawke) at Essex Wildlife Trust optics days.

K

Thanks kayjay.. Went to the Essex Wildlife Trust optics day at abberton reservoir on Sunday, and had the pleasure of trying them both out.
It's a no brainer, the SDLv2 was so much better for my eyes.

Sadly the prices they wanted were astronomical.. They wanted £970 for the scope, eyepiece, tripod and case. A far better deal to be had at SWOptics, who for £989, did the Scope, eyepiece, case, 600r tripod, and panasonics FS10 lummix kit.

Roll on Friday for delivery, then some extensive use to be had at the weekend at RSPB Dungeness..

Thanks also Keith for your help and advice.. It was a long hard slog coming to a decision, but am glad I spent the extra time to look at my options.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back