• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Yellow legs UK (1 Viewer)

Chris Oates

Why does a Black-headed Gull have a brown head...
St Ives Cornwall, there are two (that I've seen) yellow legged gulls in the harbour - to me they look exactly like the local Herring gulls.
What are they ?

Attachments

• yellow legs.jpg
    yellow legs.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 171
I am horrible at European Gulls but I'll give this a shot and say it looks like a yellow legged Herring Gull to me. The orbital ring, while not well exposed in this shot, looks like it might be orange rather than red which I believe one would expect from a Yellow-Legged Gull. Mantel looks paler than Yellow Legged as well.

This is JanJ and lou territory. Any open wing shots?

St Ives Cornwall, there are two (that I've seen) yellow legged gulls in the harbour - to me they look exactly like the local Herring gulls.
What are they ?

Hi Chris, Herring Gulls with yellow legs are not unusual, if you visit Portland Bill (Dorset) they are a common sight. I think the Gulls carry a gene that codes for an enzyme that express in the legs allowing the carotenoids to accumulate and produce the yellow colour.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.JPG
    IMG_2881.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2845.JPG
    IMG_2845.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 69
hi chris,

like gentoo and qingcol said, this is a herring gull with yellow legs, probably a local argenteus with that pale mantle. yellow-legged gull (michahellis) has a different body structure (more pronunced breast, longer wings etc), a red orbital ring, smaller white primary tips and usually longer legs. primary pattern with more black in YLG.

I saw one of these gulls on the Hayle Est. on March 23rd. It was in a flock gulls and apart from its leg colour everything else pointed to Herring Gull. The leg colour actually shone like a Lesser Black Backed Gull's legs and although the flock was a long way off, the legs could be seen with just your eyes.

Thanks chaps - these two are inseparable - both are mature but one is still begging the other for regurgitated food which it goes though the motions of doing but never produces any - very tolerant behaviour.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back