• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Ottawa (1 Viewer)

jasperpatch

Amy, Brit in Quebec.
Seen yesterday at Petrie Islands. Mixed flock including Black and white, Magnolia, Chestnut-sided and Northern Parula.

I'm seeing a broken eye-ring, yellow throat and broken breast band. Bad photo of a Magnolia, or have I finally found my nemesis Mourning? Or option 3 whatever that may be!

As ever, any pointers to help next time are gratefully received.

Attachments

• warbler helpl.jpg
    warbler helpl.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 82
Hmm....it was the eye ring that threw me off Canada, as it seems to be partial not complete? Also I can't see any yellow above the beak (supraloral?). I've attached the only other photo I got, but not sure it helps.

The breastband definitely looks right for Canada to me. Having not seen a Mourning before I'm only going off the picture in my guide.

Ack warblers!

Attachments

• eyering.jpg
    eyering.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
Looks like I need to take my Warbler Guide down the block to Petrie on Saturday. Sounds like a good birding visit, jasperpatch. I make it Mourning as well.

Looks like I need to take my Warbler Guide down the block to Petrie on Saturday. Sounds like a good birding visit, jasperpatch. I make it Mourning as well.

It was well worth the visit even without my first Mourning, but this is a very nice bonus!
In early missed the flock, spent a long time with a great blue heron which was fishing in the sunshine.
I always find the Basswood trail most productive, although if you are down the block you no doubt know the area far better than I do! Shame the water is too high for the snipe etc.
Good luck!

Glad you may have got the Mourning. Yes, Petrie is my patch. I've avoided it this year until it gets a chance to recover from the flooding, but due for a good visit Saturday. I like the first glen area on the island for warblers. Need to see if it has all changed. Few shorebirds anywhere this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back