• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is wrong with this photo?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Joker9937

I am digiscoping with a Samsung Note 10+ and a Zeiss Diascope 85 t*FL.

The sun was over my right shoulder, and it was roughly an hour before sunset. Seemed to be excellent lighting.

However, I cannot seem to focus properly. Why is part of this House Finch, his head, in focus (Although, not razor sharp as I would have expected), but the branch he's on and his lower body aren't? Very frustrating.

I tried AF, and also tried manual. I initially was using Filmic Firstlight camera app, but also tried my native Note 10+ camera.

I had the same issue with the Goldfinch (also, attached here) and later a Mallard.

Does this look like a defective camera, or some other issue like user error? I do not have much knowledge of photography jargon, so...

I included the Oriole, because it was taken an hour or two prior, and in a shaded area at a different park. Still not exceptional, but far better focus than the House or Gold Finch.

This is a phone I have only had a couple of weeks. And, it was an insurance replacement. So, that MIGHT be the issue, but I think I had similar issues, but not as obvious with the first Note 10+.

HELP!?

Attachments

• 2020-05-03-19-20-25_1.jpg
    2020-05-03-19-20-25_1.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 179
  • PSX_20200503_194815.jpg
    PSX_20200503_194815.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 181
  • PSX_20200503_185525.jpg
    PSX_20200503_185525.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 163
Here is one from yesterday. It is like a band is across sections of the fov. ??? Might be dirt?

Attachments

• PSX_20200504_201346.jpg
    PSX_20200504_201346.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 111
Do some focus testing with and without the scope, e.g. of a brick wall, square on.

Digiscoping does give some magnification (e.g. movement amplification) and dov issues, so maybe best to test the focus capability in a test environment, rather than with different bird images, as many variables on those that could be cause, so best to satisfy yourself the equipment is sound first I think.

Looking at the Goldfinch, even the thumbnail (and then the other pics) it really does look like a band of dirt or moisture on one of the surfaces ...

??

Edit: there is a big, blotchy, out of focus mark across the whole top of the Goldfinch pic.

Last edited:
I never digiscope with a phone ...so can't really help you. Are you using some adapter? ...that might be one reason. How far away were you? ... The scope is top rate, that is for sure.

I am not familiar enough with phone scoping to provide much, sorry...best of luck, jim

Hi Scott...

Is the phone sitting flush in the cradle of your phoneskope? At first I noticed a very small gap between my case and phone and when I pushed it in hard the fuzzy effect that you're getting went as the phone lense was then flush with the scope eyepiece. Your replacement phone may be slightly larger than your previous.....

So, thanks to all, for your responses. Much appreciated.

I'm going to work on the testing that was suggested and look into the other ideas too.

Thank you again! I will be in touch.

Do some focus testing with and without the scope, e.g. of a brick wall, square on.

Digiscoping does give some magnification (e.g. movement amplification) and dov issues, so maybe best to test the focus capability in a test environment, rather than with different bird images, as many variables on those that could be cause, so best to satisfy yourself the equipment is sound first I think.

What is "dov"?

Good advice, and something I had reckoned I needed to do. I had taken a photo of a large sign, and noticed the issue too. So, today I took some of a black and white document. Sure enough, the issue was glaringly obvious. Double images of some of the characters, and an out-of-focus splotch across a good portion of the center.

Definitely a phone/camera issue.

Looking at the Goldfinch, even the thumbnail (and then the other pics) it really does look like a band of dirt or moisture on one of the surfaces ...

??

Edit: there is a big, blotchy, out of focus mark across the whole top of the Goldfinch pic.

Yes, not sure what it is, but after taking the photo mentioned above, I am certain that it is an internal defect in the camera.

I never digiscope with a phone ...so can't really help you. Are you using some adapter? ...that might be one reason. How far away were you? ... The scope is top rate, that is for sure.

I am not familiar enough with phone scoping to provide much, sorry...best of luck, jim

Thank you. Yes, I think the scope is great. I use a PhoneSkope adapter specifically designed for the scope and phone model.

I checked out your website. Looks very cool! I will read through it, and learn. Thanks!

Hi Scott...

Is the phone sitting flush in the cradle of your phoneskope? At first I noticed a very small gap between my case and phone and when I pushed it in hard the fuzzy effect that you're getting went as the phone lense was then flush with the scope eyepiece. Your replacement phone may be slightly larger than your previous.....

Thanks, Ian. As mentioned, it is certainly an internal defect. I, thankfully, have narrowed it down. There might be other issues, but I took the photos without the scope, and without the adapter. It was a seriously ruinous result.

BUT...they are sending me a new phone under warranty. Very thankful for that. Hopefully I do not have the same issue with the new one.

My phoneskope toys have, so far, worked really well. Their customer service, in my experience, is excellent. I would highly recommend them.

Now, I hope I can find that Barred Owl again. He sat quietly while 20 gawking people walked under his tree, and allowed me to get into a great position for photos. But, I doubt I will get that lucky twice. :)

Thanks to all of you for your input. It definitely helped me sort it out. Thanks.

What is "dov"?

Good advice, and something I had reckoned I needed to do. I had taken a photo of a large sign, and noticed the issue too. So, today I took some of a black and white document. Sure enough, the issue was glaringly obvious. Double images of some of the characters, and an out-of-focus splotch across a good portion of the center.

Definitely a phone/camera issue.

Glad you have worked out the issue. Sorry meant DOF, not dov :-O

Glad you have worked out the issue. Sorry meant DOF, not dov :-O

LOL. Ahhhh...Now I understand. However, I am still trying to comprehend all of the jargon anyway. I probably would still have had to ask, except I have been getting a valuable education via PM, here and there. LOL.

Thank you.

Not a photo to brag about, but the new phone did definitely make a difference. The DOF issue that has been mentioned is going to stay, because the phone only goes to F2.4. But, that defect is NOW gone! Thankful for that!

This was taken about an hour before sundown. The sun was behind me. The hawk was roughly 75 to 100 yds away. 60x plus a bit with the phone to eliminate vignetting. Unedited, except to reduce for uploading.

Too windy to be very sharp, but the defect is gone.

Attachments

• PSX_20200507_115726.jpg
    PSX_20200507_115726.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 61
These are photos of the defect, aside from the typical DOF problem Auth cell phone scoping. While the DOF will always be limited, the replacement phone doesn't have the apparently damaged internals.

Attachments

• 20200508_071221-01.jpeg
    20200508_071221-01.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200508_124112-01.jpeg
    20200508_124112-01.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back