• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(blank) Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

m1sterjay

I know that these are notoriously difficult to differentiate. The Empidonax family.

My guess by distribution and general impression would be Least Flycatcher, but I know others have been seeing different species in the area.

Unfortunately, I heard no vocalizations. Any flycatcher enthusiasts out there confident enough to give me an ID?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.09.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 1.09.33 PM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 68
Sorry not to mention location. My bad. It was taken at a coastal wildlife refuge in New York City.

I haven't seen Eastern Phoebes around for a while, and the ones I used to see never really had even a faint eyering like this guy. And the wingbars on the Eastern Phoebe weren't so bold if I remember right.

Last edited:
Absolutely not an Eastern Phoebe. E. Phoebes are brown with no eyering and completely black bills.

I think this looks good for a Least Flycatcher with the bright white eyering and short primary projection.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back