• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas day birding (1 Viewer)

digi-birder

We were going to have a trip to Fairburn Ings, but decided to stay local due to the weather forecast (it was wrong again, so we could have gone!).

Our first stop was Elsecar reservoir, near to where we would have been living had the house-move gone ahead. There were quite a few Mallard there, along with some dubious looking hybrids. Highlight of that place, though, was a female Goosander. No sign of any male. There were also a few Great Crested Grebes and Pochard.

Then we moved on to Broomhill Flash, a place we've never been to, despite it being close to Old Moor RSPB, which we've been to numerous times. As the car park was closed we parked in the entrance and were greeted by a small flock of Tree Sparrows. The first sighting from the hide overlooking the water was a huge flock of Canada Geese, among which were several strange looking hybrids. Then I spotted a Barnacle Goose and a few Greylags. Lots of Lapwing and some Teal and Shoveler and some Tufted Duck. Also the usual gathering of Black-headed Gulls. There were also a few Coot and Moorhens around.

It was quite a pleasant morning, even though nothing unusual spotted, then it was home for a light lunch, and a couple of glasses of red wine and preparing for our turkey dinner later on. Just us two, so nothing too exciting.

Merry Christmas everyone.

"Just us two" - now, come on, Diane, I'm not sure who the "two" are but I can't think of anything more exciting in the right circumstances than "just us two". And that's after 28 years of married bliss in our case!

Dear Diane,

Thank you for your post.
We decided to explore the valley bottom here as the wind is a little ferocious.
Long tailed tit.
Blue, Coal and Great tit.
Dunnock.
Kestrel.
Tree creeper.
Blackbird.
Common Buzzard.
Gold crest.
Dipper.
Siskin.
Goldfinch.
Sparrow Hawk.
Brambling.
Chaffinch.
Greenfinch.
Nuthatch.
We had the place to ourselves.
Back home in time to toast the Queen’s knee.

If the weather improves we will venture further afield during the holiday but you know how it is - the fireside has a strong pull.
Good Bird-Watching in 2004.
Regards.
G B-S.

Happy Christmas Steve,

You are quite right – there‘s a lot to be said for your favourite slippers, they are so comfortable , non competitive with little chance of contracting athlete’s foot.

Regards.
G B-S.

Hi Digibirder and all the Best to you.
I have been out myself as i take some food to a local lake where though well supplied the rest of the year gets neglegted today.

After feeding the local birds i drove around a few of my local hotspots, birds of note included Goshawk, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Woodcock, Grey Wagtail.

I too am looking foreward to 2004 and wish all my fellow BF members a happy and enjoyable New year.

Last edited:
Afraid I never made it across the doorstep thru being full of cold.

Had to make do with the usual garden visitors -

Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Magpie
Robin
Blackbird
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Chaffinch
Dunnock
Collared Dove
Pigeons
House Sparrow

Something had had a Pigeon on the lawn early doors, not sure whether it was a Sparrowhawk or a cat tho.

I called in at Eccleston Mere, St. Helens, this morning, in between mince pies, and was delighted to find an adult winter Med. Gull with the Black-heads and Common Gulls

Merry Christmas to everybody

Colin

Glad you had a nice day today Diane. I have to wait until Saturday as more family are coming round tomorrow but may manage a walk on the canal though.

Oh Boy I have been at the Christmas spirit a little to much.
Ladyburn Lake in the Druridge Bay area but the raptors were seen around the Simonside Hills.

Apologies for drink induced spelling errors, and Happy Boxing day to all, im off to my bed.

Brian.

digi-birder said:
Just us two, so nothing too exciting.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Yes but at least you weren't on parade with lots of family members you didn't want to see!!

My garden list went up by one - lots of Redwings turned up and my Christmas morning stroll saw me add Coal Tit and a Common Gull to my Christmas walk list.

Well I have had to work Christmas Day and Boxing Day and on these two days I missed Waxwing and Iceland Gull plus today I've learnt that they're are c247 Grey Plover just up the road from my local patch !!!! Aint work great ? ....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back