• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID for Mediterranean Turkey (1 Viewer)

BJS

Hi. This year and last I have seen these birds flying over two ancient sites (Xanthos and Tlos) not far from Kalkan. They are maybe about pigeon size, not raptors, fly in groups. They have quite broad wings with pale underneath and there is an impression of some yellow. The main identifying feature is this behaviour: they fold their wings in and dive then pull up to swoop back to the flock
Saw them today 2 October and the same time in years before
Any ideas?
Thanks
BJS

Thanks Lou Don't think they were. We have these bulbuls around our villa so I know them quite well. These birds are about twice the size and have different wings. Also, tho I really needed a scope to confirm, they had shorter stockier heads and beaks

Hi Rob. Today about 4 or 5 but last year must have been about 15-20. Definitely not sand grouse. These were agile flying birds

Thanks nutcracker. That's a possible! Certainly with the call. Do you know if they do that wing folded dive? I'll have to head out to Xanthos again in next day or so and see if I can get another look

Just checked out some clips on YouTube and think you are right. They were too far away and silhouetted for me to see the colours properly but the wing shape, size, sound and behaviour all seem right. Huge thanks! Amazed you could get that from my rather poor description :)

Just checked out some clips on YouTube and think you are right. They were too far away and silhouetted for me to see the colours properly but the wing shape, size, sound and behaviour all seem right. Huge thanks! Amazed you could get that from my rather poor description :)

Yep ;) I don't think I would ever have arrived at bee eater from, pigeon sized, broad winged and yellow impression! Glad you seem to have got it now. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back