• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cape Town birding for a couple days (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Hey folks,

I will have three days in Cape Town by myself before family arrives and am planning on three days of all out birding to see as much as I can. After family arrives I will be in the western half ZA and S Namibia for two months touring around playing tourist and birding a little in the mornings and evenings, here and there and opportunistically sort of. So I should eventually see all the common stuff, and I have chances for the N Cape/Namibian species, the Karoo species, and birds in Pt Elizabeth and along the Garden Rt in turn, so my thought is to focus mostly on specialties while in Cape Town. I will have a car and am completely flexible on where I go and where I stay.

An obvious destination is Kirstenbosch, but I'm curious for thoughts from locals and those who are far more knowledgeable than I!

Cheers,
Josh

Kirstenbosch is decent as a tourist, though the amount of bird species is relatively small (you're looking at mostly common birds, but usually decent views of some of the sunbirds).

As mentioned above though, Strandfontein Sewage Works is definitely a must. Massive number of waders and water birds, and probably the single best location for vagrants pitching up at in the province.

West Coast National Park is about an hour drive north, and also a very good location for a large number of species.

If you'd like some assistance from a local, feel free to drop me a message.

What's Lowry's Pass like these days? Was good for Rockjumpers when I visited way back when, but I think I heard since that it's now not the safest place to stop and bird at. Don't know, memory may be playing me false. A pelagic would be the other obvious thing to look into.

What's Lowry's Pass like these days? Was good for Rockjumpers when I visited way back when, but I think I heard since that it's now not the safest place to stop and bird at. Don't know, memory may be playing me false. A pelagic would be the other obvious thing to look into.

Said to be some security issues, though I have been several times without any issue (last time a couple of years ago) and have always felt perfectly fine ...but all places feel fine unless something happens :)

I actually live about 5 kilometers from Sir Lowry's Pass and unfortunately I wouldn't recommend it to a tourist. There are more dangerous places (like Paarl Sewage Works and Macassar Sewage Works), but Sir Lowry's Pass can be dangerous.

It is definitely worth the extra 20 kilometers to Rooi Els, which has all the same birds (in better numbers) than Sir Lowry's Pass. I had excellent views of the Rock Jumper at Rooi Els this week, despite the area suffering a major fire earlier in the year. There are also some of the other specials around (Ground Woodpecker and Sentinel Rock Thrush)

And nicer scenery :)

Another reason to go is that during strong winds you can actually sometimes pick up some pelagic birds from shore (just 100 meters or so off-shore). This week there was a cold front and managed to count a Subantarctic Skua, Shy Albatross, White Chinned Petrel and Cape Gannet from the shore. ;)

Thank you all so much for the feedback, particularly about Rooi Els over Sir Lowry's Pass! I do already have a pelagic booked on June 24. I will see Kirstenbosch later with my mother so won't put a full day into it just off the bat. I will also have a bit of time at West Coast NP, an evening and a morning but not intense birding. And I will see Nature's Valley and Wilderness as well (looks like Knysna Warbler should be easier in Wilderness than near Cape Town if I am not mistaken).

Sounds like Strandfontein and Rooi Els are perhaps the two first locations to focus on. If I try for both of those sites in one day will it make it hard to see the Rockjumper, Siskin, Victorin's Warbler, and Ground Woodpecker at Rooi Els in the afternoon? Additionally, would folks recommend Rooisand (the shot at the Buttonquail is tempting)? At that point I could see more of the Pt Agulhas area and on to De Hoop NR.

Again, I greatly appreciate the thoughts so far and any further advice!

Cheers,
Josh

If I try for both of those sites in one day will it make it hard to see the Rockjumper, Siskin, Victorin's Warbler, and Ground Woodpecker at Rooi Els in the afternoon?

Very possible to do in one day, it is only an hour or something between the sites.

Thank you all so much for the feedback, particularly about Rooi Els over Sir Lowry's Pass! I do already have a pelagic booked on June 24. I will see Kirstenbosch later with my mother so won't put a full day into it just off the bat. I will also have a bit of time at West Coast NP, an evening and a morning but not intense birding. And I will see Nature's Valley and Wilderness as well (looks like Knysna Warbler should be easier in Wilderness than near Cape Town if I am not mistaken).

I spent a week in Wilderness earlier this month (where my avatar comes from), and there's some truly amazing birds there. Mostly the exciting forest birds like the Knysna Turaco and if you're lucky Narina Trogon.

With regards to the Knysna Warbler, Wilderness is definitely infinitely better than Cape Town. Unfortunately I didn't get any visuals on any during my visit, as they have stopped calling for the most part. Still possible to get, but harder than Spring of course.

Sounds like Strandfontein and Rooi Els are perhaps the two first locations to focus on. If I try for both of those sites in one day will it make it hard to see the Rockjumper, Siskin, Victorin's Warbler, and Ground Woodpecker at Rooi Els in the afternoon? Additionally, would folks recommend Rooisand (the shot at the Buttonquail is tempting)? At that point I could see more of the Pt Agulhas area and on to De Hoop NR.

To be honest Rooi Els (and other Rockjumper sites) are less about time spent and more to do with getting lucky. Some days they are there and others they just seem to be bunkering down somewhere. I've seen all of those birds (Siskin, Victorin's, Ground Woodpecker and Rockjumper) in a 2 hour period between Rooi Els and the road opposite Pringle Bay 5 minutes away.

Hottentot Buttonquail is definitely a challenge (still need it myself), and I know there is a location near Rooisand where they have been seen, I would need to check the SABAP2 pentads to give more info on Rooisand itself. I have birded at Rooisand before, and it's quite an enjoyable location -- got some Banded Martins there... But can't vouch for viability of Buttonquail.

De Hoop (Potberg) is amazing for experience the Cape Vulture (the only breeding location in the Western Cape), there's a lot to see around the Agulhas area -- however, it is worth mentioning the road is about 50km of a gravel nightmare if you're in a sedan.

Bryn or others,

Any opinions on Wilderness vs Nature's Valley both as a tourist and as a birder? We should have about three days in the area so I was thinking a night in Nature's Valley and two in Wilderness and Wilderness will have more besides birding, or would you recommend the opposite?

Cheers,
Josh

Well to be honest, both are pretty much just nature. Wilderness may have 1 or 2 more shops, but it's still a small area where the focus is mainly on what you will be doing outdoors. Nature's Valley can offer you some birds that you don't tend to get in Wildnerness, like the Collared Sunbird. But Wilderness has a bit more variety, would recommend visiting Rietvlei for Red-Necked Spurfowl, Painted Snipe and an African Rail (They were all present last month).

Nature's Valley, I didn't spend too much time in, so I didn't explore as much as I'd have liked. But I think the way you have it set out now is not bad. If you're after Half-Collared Kingfisher at all, there is a reliable spot in Wilderness called 'Half-Collar Kingfisher Trail', which is also a nice spot for Blue-Mantled Crested Flycatcher, Three Starred Robin and Yellow-Throated Woodland Warblers.

Also worth visiting the 'Big Tree' about 15 kilometers drive from the HCK trail mentioned above. Some tough forest birding conditions, but can be useful -- especially for things like Knysna Woodpecker, or if you're lucky Narina Trogon.

I think this links to roughly the relevant bit in our trip report thread (just before we jammed the buttonquail!) http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=243810&highlight=burg&page=5

Agree with xmesox, we preferred Wilderness over Nature's Valley as I recall, for the birds, and for not getting raided by baboons! Also Rooi Els worked for Rockjumper for us, unlike Lowry Pass.

Grootvadersbosch (post #106) was great site for Knysna Warbler and other stuff, but might be a bit too far from Cape Town for your time there.

Wilderness post#115

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Larry.

A quick question - it looks like the Wild Card is a no brainer. If I am going to be there for over a month, the 30 day provisional print out won't work for the 2nd half of the trip, but I don't have a mailing address there to receive the physical card. How have others navigated this? Will they deliver the Wild Card internationally? I fear I might have left it until too late, as I leave in a week...

Thanks for the link Larry.

A quick question - it looks like the Wild Card is a no brainer. If I am going to be there for over a month, the 30 day provisional print out won't work for the 2nd half of the trip, but I don't have a mailing address there to receive the physical card. How have others navigated this? Will they deliver the Wild Card internationally? I fear I might have left it until too late, as I leave in a week...

Not a problem, buy the wild card on arrival at your first national park.

** Which is your first national park? I believe there are one or two smaller parks where you can't, but you can normally buy the Wild Card at reception - they give a temporary pass which is valid for 30 days, you then need to register online for the one year membership.

Hi Jos,

It was that register online after 30 days bit that looked like a hangup, as they then mail the physical card. After registering can you still use the temporary pass to enter if you cannot receive the mailed pass? If worst comes to worst I will have the pass mailed to some accommodation we are planning on using somewhere. First places I'll visit will probably be De Hoop, Cape Point (don't believe it qualifies) and then West Coast NP.

Cheers!
Josh

Ah yes. Sorry, I misread that your trip was over 30 days ... i.e. whole point of your question :) Agree, probably possible to send to a hotel that you will stay in. And yes, Cape Point is not included in the Wild Card.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back