• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Garden Warbler, Norfolk? (1 Viewer)

Louis_P

Average Birder
Is this a baby Garden Warbler or Reed Warbler? Seen on 22nd June 2019 in a bush beside the river. I glimpsed what I assume were the parents on some nearby reeds but they disappeared into a bush before I could get a proper look.

Thanks,
Louis

Attachments

• 1070698.jpg
    1070698.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 135
Although a difficult picture, because I have the feeling that colurs are not "real" due to harsh light and haze, I think its a Garden Warbler.

Bill shape is very good for recently fletched Garden Warbler (and wrong for similar aged Blackcaps, with the caveat that growning bill can show unusual shapes).

Also in many young Blackcaps the cap is already appearent, WHEN You Know IT MUST BE THERE or clearly visible. In this bird this cap isnt there, you can look at this picture for one more day ... (I hope thats understandable)

Legs are pale with a flesh tinge, but thats ok for many juvenile passerines, regardless of adult or first winter leg colour.

A quick google search produced this: https://parrotletsuk.typepad.com/wl...-devon-bird-ringing-and-a-garden-warbler.html

Convinced?

Although a difficult picture, because I have the feeling that colurs are not "real" due to harsh light and haze, I think its a Garden Warbler.

Bill shape is very good for recently fletched Garden Warbler (and wrong for similar aged Blackcaps, with the caveat that growning bill can show unusual shapes).

Also in many young Blackcaps the cap is already appearent, WHEN You Know IT MUST BE THERE or clearly visible. In this bird this cap isnt there, you can look at this picture for one more day ... (I hope thats understandable)

Legs are pale with a flesh tinge, but thats ok for many juvenile passerines, regardless of adult or first winter leg colour.

A quick google search produced this: https://parrotletsuk.typepad.com/wl...-devon-bird-ringing-and-a-garden-warbler.html

Convinced?

Thank you very much for this helpful reply. I'm happy to go with baby Garden Warbler, as that was my original impression.

Although 'baby' isn't really the correct terminology - a juvenile would be a better term (not a delinquent or a teen either ;) )

Surely too early for such an advanced Garden Warbler juvenile?- the adults have only been a 1-2 weeks. Juv Blackcap would be far more likely!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back