• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive or Alder Flycatcher in Backyard? (Northfield, IL) (1 Viewer)

jsnorman

Pretty sure this is an Alder, but I have never seen one before much less in my back yard (Northfield, IL). Sighting was 2 days ago May 26 in the evening, and it was darting down from lower tree branches to nab flying insects and a bee. Pretty sure it was a flycatcher from its behavior and size.
Pretty cool to watch him work.

Unfortunately, I was in my backyard doing macro photos so I only had a 150mm macro lens, and the bird was up 25-40 feet in the air. Shooting into the sunset as well, so getting good ID shots was challenging to say the least. I had to really crop up to get these pictures, which does create some chromatic and focus issues. Including several shots to aid in ID.

Notable features:
Very noticeable crest
White throat/shoulder
Yellowish area of lower belly (hard to see in pictures but it was clear in person), with rest of belly mostly white
Olive or brown top side (too dark to distinguish which it is)
2 very clear white horizontal bars on wings
Smaller vertical bars on wings are very noticeable
Very small bird - I would say warbler size, no larger than a sparrow (probably excludes similar Olive Flycatcher which is larger)

Merlin ID came up with Olive but only after I removed the size filter. I thought it was an Alder given size. However, its stomach marking does look a little more like the Olive so maybe this is just a very small Olive? Or something else?

Attachments

• image5.jpeg
    image5.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image7.jpeg
    image7.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
I'm thinking your bird is an Eastern Wood-Pewee. A bit too large a bill and a slight crest for Alder, and as you said not a bold enough "vest" underneath for Olive-sided.

I agree as well. Eastern Wood-Pewee has a dusky vest, but not as prominent as an Olive-sided Flycatcher would have.

Going with the pewee, thanks everyone! FYI he just came back and I got some much better pictures with my 300-500mm. Hopefully these confirm the pewee ID!

0DA465DE-5AC6-4F6A-9740-7F869C5ABECA.jpg

6538EF9F-3989-414A-ABE4-0C7C8F05603F.jpg

84834E02-ABC1-483A-B819-481C08FEB40D.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back