• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone know their terns (1 Viewer)

doug_newman

Hi All.

I wonder if anyone wants to comment on this picture I took a while back of a Tern at Marievale. I was looking at it and noticed the difference in coloure of the inner vs outter webs of the primaries. I then read in Roberts and only Whiskered Tern has this mentioned in Roberts VII. Does that mean that this is a Whiskered Tern and not a White-winged Tern? (Photographed 600 Km inland at Marievale Bird Sanctuary - South Africa)

http://www.sahotspots.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2156#2156

Comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Doug

Whiskered Tern (juv moulting to 1st winter) for me : typical tertials and remaining mantle feathers.

Last edited:
Hmmm can i throw 2 other terns in the mix though i want to say juvenile if it is either.
Roseate Tern & White Cheeked Tern.

Having checked all my books i am siding on Roseate Tern Juvenile though but i cant be sure sorry.

Hope that helps

I was leaning towards White-winged Tern. Both White-winged and Whiskered are very common at Marievale and the only other Tern one usually encounters is Caspian (although birds have wings).
Lookig at the differences in head pattern I was pretty sure it was White-winged but I was just interested in the fact that whith such a detailed photo, it is the first time I have picked up the bi-coloured primaries i.e. light grey outer webs and dark grey inner webs. Is this unique to White-winged or do both these Tern species have bi-coloured primaries in Juv plumage?

According to our local field guides, Whiskered has a straight line through the eye onto the nape whereas White-winged's head pattern rises up to the crown behind the eye, not creating that straight line onto the nape. If that is correct I would have made this White-winged (also the lack of the slight reddish base to the bill?)

doug_newman said:
According to our local field guides, Whiskered has a straight line through the eye onto the nape whereas White-winged's head pattern rises up to the crown behind the eye, not creating that straight line onto the nape. If that is correct I would have made this White-winged (also the lack of the slight reddish base to the bill?)
I would say a moulting juvenile Whiskered. Remains of 'ginger' on mantle fit Whiskered. White-winged would have darker mantle, and it would show a darker carpal bar. Features you mention concerning cap and bill would be appropriate for an adult winter Whiskered, but photo correct for juvenile Whiskered.

Here's a pic of a juv. Whiskered. Pretty close to your bird I'd say, including head pattern. Bill is just reflecting light I think.

Attachments

• Juv. Whiskered Tern.jpg
    Juv. Whiskered Tern.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back