• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grand Cayman (1 Viewer)

tbcash80

I hope to be in Grand Cayman at the start of January and was hoping someone might have a recommendation or 2 for places to stay which are not of the Marriott or Ritz-Carlton variety - so somewhere small, off-the-beaten track and birder-friendly. Not much to ask I know, but ...

TIA

Hi TIA, I see this is your first post so may I welcome you on behalf of all the staff and moderators at Bird Forum.

I'm sorry I can't help with Grand Cayman but I'm sure someone will be along before too long who can.

D

Hi tb and a warm welcome to you :t:

The last time I was down there, I found the motels on the bulkhead side to be more reasonable than the beach side and getting around there is no problem whatsoever so it doesn't really matter where you stay.

KCFoggin said:
Hi tb and a warm welcome to you :t:

The last time I was down there, I found the motels on the bulkhead side to be more reasonable than the beach side and getting around there is no problem whatsoever so it doesn't really matter where you stay.

Thanks KC - I know little (well nothing) of the geography. The beaches are in the west, I think. Where do you mean by "the bulkhead" ?

And a supplementary if I may - is it worth going to the other 2 islands ? (And how do you get there ?) Thanks for your help.

I went down there for the sole purpose of getting certified in scuba diving so there was little time for anything else so no, I did not visit the other two.

If memory serves me correctly, we were on the "Little Sound" side of the Island.

I'm heading there right after Xmas. I booked a room at Eldemire's Guest House, which is at the south end of Georgetown. It's recommended in several places as a good low cost accommodation in Grand cayman. Cost is about USD 120 / night, which is really the best you'll do there.

Link is: http://www.eldemire.com/

It may be worth it for you to become a member of the CaribbeanBirding group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CaribbeanBirding/ and send a message with your questions there. I have heard that there is a difference in which birds are available on each of the islands, and that one of the recent hurricanes (2004?) did some damage, but cannot remember too many of the details

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back