• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found Baby Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

pauletteburk

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on here, and I joined specifically to get some advice on a little predicament I created this morning... I was attempting to clean up the orange tree by my potting bench and snipped a branch that I later discovered had already been inhabited by our backyard hummingbird's young one. Anyway, I was immediately terror-stricken and quickly reattached the branch with fishing wire in the same shady region that it was plucked from.

I don't know much (or anything) about birds, but I was careful not to touch it at all. I left for a few hours and returned to find him/her turned around in its nest.. not sure if that means the mom came back or what, but I have a few photos just to positively identify it as a hummingbird. I was just researching nectar for hummingbird feeders -- would it be okay to whip some of that up and feed it with a dropper or should I just wait and see what happens? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• DSC06567.jpg
    DSC06567.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC06572.jpg
    DSC06572.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 82
I don't think you need to do anything. The mother's very unlikely to desert a nest with young in it & will almost certainly come back & feed her nestling. The fact that the nest has obviously been disturbed & is slightly out of position shouldn’t make any difference.

Last edited:
@fugl is right, this nestling represents a big investment, so I think if you put the nest back in place more or less and keep your distance it should be ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back