• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long term storage of optics? (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, just wondering. I may be storing my remaining "good" optics away for a few years, keeping out only a pair of compacts. Is it necessary to do anything other than put them in their cases and boxes, and leave them in a cupboard? Or ought I get a shed-load of silica gel, etc.? And would it be advisable to take them out every few months to air them? And one last question...if I take them out in a few years for active service, should I send them off for servicing, just to make sure the nitrogen hasn´t all seeped out?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sancho,

I imagine the manufacturers will have knowledge they should be prepared to share with you if you contact them. Failing that, there are a few things that occur to me that might be prudent. Probably be best to avoid large fluctuating temperatures and pressures. I guess the lubricating grease and seals could harden in time so probably a cool but constant temperature would be best. Few metals and plastics are totally resistant to oxidative deterioration over time so a oxygen purged atmosphere could be useful. Take out the water as well and the risk of micro-organism proliferation is minimised. The above should be enough to inhibit rubber or plastic bloom over time, but again you would need to check, but an inert silicone dressing might be useful.

Total speculation, but if you Scotchguard the armour, put them in a Tupperware box with silica gel, flush it with nitrogen, complete the seal with vacuum grease and keep it in the fridge at a constant 5*C might be worthwhile but I'm really not sure it would be any better than leaving it in it's case on a shelf. My guess either would be fine.

David

Last edited:
I lost 2 camera lenses that were stored in a closet to mold or fungus growth on the lenses.

You might consider adding drying silica gell packets to the air tight container you plan on storing the binoculars in to reduce risk of fungal infection on the surface or interior of the bins.

I lost 2 camera lenses that were stored in a closet to mold of fungus growth on the lenses inside the lens housing.

You might consider adding drying silica gell packets to the air tight container you plan on storing the binoculars in to reduce risk of fungal infection on the surface or interior of the bins.

Hi, just wondering. I may be storing my remaining "good" optics away for a few years, keeping out only a pair of compacts. Is it necessary to do anything other than put them in their cases and boxes, and leave them in a cupboard? Or ought I get a shed-load of silica gel, etc.? And would it be advisable to take them out every few months to air them? And one last question...if I take them out in a few years for active service, should I send them off for servicing, just to make sure the nitrogen hasn´t all seeped out?
Thanks in advance.

Sancho,

So you and your wife are finally going to China to teach Gaelic? Congratulations!

Forget about storing them at Uncle Liam's Self-Storage, you will never get out the smell of ammonia from the rat droppings! Send all your bins to me, and I will take good care of them, talk to them, take them for walks in the park, water them regularly, show them your photo and build their self-esteem by reminding them that although their owner is gone, they are not forgotten, and lastly, introduce them to some porros so they broaden their horizons and get to see how the other half live. I offer this as free service! Uncle Liam's can't beat that deal.

Brock

Sancho,
You broke an arm and due to a rare heriditary condition it will take a few years to heal. You were selected for a manned mission to Mars, and all they'll let you take is a compact. You are getting too old and feeble to tote a big binocular, but plan to start back getting younger again after a few years. You have started on a new SRRI drug therapy, and it will take a few years to get your dosage adjusted right.

??? Stash the compact in suspended animation and use that 8.5x42.
Ron

just to make sure the nitrogen hasn´t all seeped out?

I have a question regarding this Nitrogen filled binoculars and scopes

When we exposed our bino and scope to the sun for a long time let say around 32 degree Celsius, will the nitrogen burst out from it through the focusing well etc ?

Or only when we dropped those optics then send for collimation etc ?

The main thing is that the humidity must be less than 60%, preferably 40%.
It should also be above 13C in Britain.
Attics and garages, you may as well throw non waterproof binoculars and lenses and cameras in the garbage, for after a short time there they will be fungused.
In the far east in WWII Australian optics were useless after 3 to 6 weeks from new until they dealt with the fungus problems.
There are long papers dealing with this problem.
So for me it is stable temperatures between 13C and 22C, humidity 40% and stuff lasts decades.
A fully waterproof optic may last decades even in poor conditions depending how good it is.
I would store it out of the case preferably with a cupboard door open, but within a very stable home environment as above.
I would not store it in a sealed plastic bag.
For more exotic opinions others may advise.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Not sure what to do, humidity is obviously a problem here in all seasons but I've never had any optics develop fungus or suchlike. Maybe I'll flog the lot and re-buy whatever marvels are on offer in a few years, if I get back to active birding.

I lost 2 camera lenses that were stored in a closet to mold of fungus growth on the lenses inside the lens housing.

Me too, I lost one lens (a cheap one, fortunately), a second one needed cleaning, and a binocular needed cleaning but was caught in time.

The lenses and scope that were kept in a plastic storage box with large bags of silica gel were and are perfect. Fungus is an issue even in our temperate climate, as condensation can and does occur in homes. Silica gel can be bought in many places including ebay. Suitable boxes are available at stationers.

In some ways optics keep their value. I recently sold a high end binocular and I got almost what I paid for it 8 years ago, ignoring inflation.

Humidity is the binoculars enemy.
Ideally a dust free cool dry atmosphere out of direct sunlight.
If I store a good binocular in the loft I place the binocular in a sealable food bag, further protecting against mould, fungus and general aging.

Fungal spores are in the air all around us.
They need protein to feed them, this comes from mites, parts of mites, skin, anything.
They can attack coatings and glass.
Very old glass types are less affected, so 100 year old lenses may survive bad conditions.
Special glass types like ED, fluoride containing glasses, and other exotic types are very easily affected and maintain their integrity with very special coatings.
In a triplet APO, the difficult exotic glass is usually in the centre of the objective and well protected in its high quality cell.
Fluorite doublets have the special element behind a tough front element.
Early fluorite crystals, did just that, crystallised.
So one has to be careful buying secondhand exotics.
If these have been disassembled by an amateur, there could be problems, and also they need to be nitrogen purged again, which amateurs may not be able to do.
But modern high quality equipment is usually properly made, but I have seen modern cheap waterproof optics full of humidity when new.
So it is worth carefully checking any new or secondhand optic.
On a low humidity day it might seem clear, but display internal misting in high humidity.
Also when getting something new by mail order it may initially be very damp.

Thanks in advance.

Pack them up separately in their original carry cases, store them on a shelf where there is little chance of them being knocked to.the floor. Assure it is cool, low humidity and dark throughout the year and those bins should good next time you need them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back