• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow-rumped Flycatcher: female vs immature male? (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

As far as the Yellow-rumped Flycatcher is concerned, is there any observable difference between females and immature (say, first-winter) males? I've seen a few YRF in female plumage this autumn, but as I look through pictures on the Oriental Bird Club, some of which are labelled "first-winter", I wonder how they can be definitively identified as such.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2690&Bird_Image_ID=24519

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2690&Bird_Image_ID=8854

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_ID=2690&Bird_Image_ID=54769
et cetera

I believe the main way of identifying 1st calendar year male in autumn is that they have black upper tail coverts.

Last edited:
I believe the main way of identifying 1st calendar year male in autumn is that they have black upper tail coverts.

I wish it were so straightforward Dave. Adult female can show essentially black/blackish utc's with a narrow olive brown tip.

The 3 images are all 1st-w's by virtue of the narrow buffish tips to the outermost greater coverts which are retained juvenile feathers. Further, the upper two tertials exhibit a pale 'hooked' tip typical of this age. Adult female shows a variable amount of white to the inner greater coverts only which, may form a solid white patch.

Speaking to Phil Round, sexing 1st-w's is problematic as there is much overlap but a proportion of males may be reliably sexed by a combination of 1) wing length 2)width of rump band and 3) strength of yellow suffusion to the underparts while birds with entirely brown rumps are likely to be females.

So, I would not attempt to sex any of the examples shown above.

Grahame

I wish it were so straightforward Dave. Adult female can show essentially black/blackish utc's with a narrow olive brown tip.

The 3 images are all 1st-w's by virtue of the narrow buffish tips to the outermost greater coverts which are retained juvenile feathers. Further, the upper two tertials exhibit a pale 'hooked' tip typical of this age. Adult female shows a variable amount of white to the inner greater coverts only which, may form a solid white patch.

Speaking to Phil Round, sexing 1st-w's is problematic as there is much overlap but a proportion of males may be reliably sexed by a combination of 1) wing length 2)width of rump band and 3) strength of yellow suffusion to the underparts while birds with entirely brown rumps are likely to be females.

So, I would not attempt to sex any of the examples shown above.

Grahame

Thank you Grahame, you have reminded me of why I elected a long time ago to ignore the question of ageing/sexing these birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back