• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldeneye tail spread? (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all

The goldeneye I saw today kept spreading out it’s tail when it swam. Is this usual and why would it do this?

Attachments

• 1219C212-5F8B-48D5-A001-D4276817A2C1.jpeg
    1219C212-5F8B-48D5-A001-D4276817A2C1.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 33
As Nutcracker says it's fairly common behaviour. Unfortunately, none of the literature I have mentions it specifically.

I'm just guessing here but maybe it is related to diving and underwater swimming. They always seem to dive with their tail feathers spread and they do use their tails for steering underwater. Perhaps fanning the tail feathers makes that more efficient and the tail feathers just remain naturally fanned out when they are back on the surface. The bird in your photo looks like it has been diving.

Here's a couple of photos of a male diving.

DSC_2030 Goldeneye - male-2.jpg

DSC_2032 Goldeneye - male-2.jpg

Here's another of the Mergini ducks, a Red-breasted Merganser, disappearing beneath the water also with its tail feathers spread as it does so.

DSC_7173-2.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have to spend even more time watching diving ducks this winter than I usually do!

I can not find and info either?

I haven’t noticed tufted ducks - but will have to look more closely!

Well, after four weeks of watching Goldeneyes closely I can say without absolute certainty that..............I don't know why they spread their tails. Often they do. Sometimes they don't.

It's surprisingly difficult to see what they are doing with their tails for much of the time especially when watching from close to water level. Tails are often spread when diving, but not always. They are also often spread when birds are on the surface, but not always.

So, that's cleared that up............or not. Sorry!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back