• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Junco (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
I am new to the birding world and looking for a pronunciation of the Dark-Eyed Junco. Is it June like the month or like junk? My apologies if this isn't the place to ask.

Not a silly question

-25 said:
I am new to the birding world and looking for a pronunciation of the Dark-Eyed Junco. Is it June like the month or like junk? My apologies if this isn't the place to ask.

It's like "junk - o." Your question is a fair one, though, because it isn't always obvious how to pronounce bird names. It took me a while to get "pileated" right. Also, some names (e.g., egret) have more than one correct pronunciation.

Jeff

I appreciate the response, unfortunately I was wrong, I thought it was like june, but okay, Dark-Eyed Junco it is.

LOL speak of the devil got 3 in the feeder eating the new berries/nuts/seed mix. At least now I can call them by their real name. Thanks again.

-Drake.

Great birds

-25 said:
I appreciate the response, unfortunately I was wrong, I thought it was like june, but okay, Dark-Eyed Junco it is.

LOL speak of the devil got 3 in the feeder eating the new berries/nuts/seed mix. At least now I can call them by their real name. Thanks again.

-Drake.

They're great birds, aren't they? When we lived near San Francisco, we would see them all winter, sometimes in flocks of 100+. Since we moved to near Houston, we've seen only one and that only one time. However, in Salt Lake City over Thanksgiving we saw quite a few.

Jeff

About the pronunciation of pileated: long and short i sound are BOTH accepted, correct pronunciations. Just to keep everyone happpy, I use a long i before noon and a short i after noon. Same rule applies to Missouri/Missoura options.

There are other pitfalls, for example:
Ibis sounds like eye-bis, not eeebis
Yes, egret can work more than one way, but the more common is with accent on first syllable.
Northern (or Tropical) Parula is often pronounced Pa RU la (accent on second syllable), but PAR oo la (accent on first) is preferred by many and is closer to the root word.

Bird names honoring people can be a real bugaboo. Examples:
Sabine's Gull. Not pronounced like the river in TX/LA, but as the man pronounced it, it rhymes with satin.

Bachman's (as in sparrow and presumably extinct warbler) has the same a sound as in satin, not the soft a of caw.

As for any bird, any way you say it, it's the observing that is fun.

Phalarope

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back