• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD 8x42 or Nikon Monarch 7 8x42 (2 Viewers)

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of binoculars for bird watching in the eastern part of Canada. Now I'm wondering if I should buy the new Kowa BDII-XD 8x42 or the Nikon Monarch 7 8x42? My budget is around $600 CAD and I can get the Kowa or the Nikon for the exact same price in Canada.

The field of view and the image steadiness are very important for me. I will also use the binoculars often in low light conditions, hence the reason why I have decided to go with the Kowa or the Nikon in the 8x42 format.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pat

Last edited:
Hi Pat,

my 2 ct - I have both glasses (got the Kowa 10 days ago), for what it’s worth:

Go for the Kowa if it is available at your place.

Both Kowa and Nikon are about the same size, almost same weight, similar eye relief.
I find the build quality of the Kowa better (eyecups with clickstops that actually work!) and the finish much nicer.
Both have a relatively wide field of view, the one of the Kowa is just slightly larger.
The image in the Kowa is nicer for my eyes than in the Nikon: CA correction is better, central AND off-axis sharpness are also better in the Kowa.

I do like the Nikon, but now that I got the Kowa, I like it more (also got the 6.5x32 - Kowa has done a good job with the new BD II series).

Canip

Hello Canip,

Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated.

I have tried the Nikon M7 at the store today and I liked what I saw, but unfortunately I cannot compare them directly with the Kowa because they are only available online in my area. Anyway, after reading your comments, I'm now very tempted to buy the Kowa online.

Regards

Pat

Hello Canip,

Thank you so much for your feedback, much appreciated.

I have tried the Nikon M7 at the store today and I liked what I saw, but unfortunately I cannot compare them directly with the Kowa because they are only available online in my area. Anyway, after reading your comments, I'm now very tempted to buy the Kowa online.

Regards

Pat

When you do, try to buy from a store with a good return policy - just in case you would not like the Kowa (as you know, everyone‘s eyes and face anatomy are different)

Canip

Hi Pat,

my 2 ct - I have both glasses (got the Kowa 10 days ago), for what it’s worth:

Go for the Kowa if it is available at your place.

Both Kowa and Nikon are about the same size, almost same weight, similar eye relief.
I find the build quality of the Kowa better (eyecups with clickstops that actually work!) and the finish much nicer.
Both have a relatively wide field of view, the one of the Kowa is just slightly larger.
The image in the Kowa is nicer for my eyes than in the Nikon: CA correction is better, central AND off-axis sharpness are also better in the Kowa.

I do like the Nikon, but now that I got the Kowa, I like it more (also got the 6.5x32 - Kowa has done a good job with the new BD II series).

Canip

Canip, what differentiates the new Kowa from other binos with virtually the same specs? Namely the Athlon Midas HD, Hawke Frontier EDX and GPO Passion ED?

When you do, try to buy from a store with a good return policy - just in case you would not like the Kowa (as you know, everyone‘s eyes and face anatomy are different)

Canip

Ok, thanks for the advice.

One last question for you, do you think that the contrast and the colors of the Kowa are as good or better than than the Monarch 7?

Pat

I only have the Kowa 8X32 BD II and Nikon HG 8X42, they are a different configuration, but as Canip has stated, your eyes are different/and facial contouring is different. The eyecups on the Kowa could take time for some to get used to. My eyes prefer the Nikon.

Andy W.

Ok, thanks for the advice.

One last question for you, do you think that the contrast and the colors of the Kowa are as good or better than than the Monarch 7?

Pat

Yes.

And: Andy is right (post #7), that’s why you should have an option to return the Kowa in case it somehow doesn‘t fit your preferences.

Canip

Last edited:
Canip, what differentiates the new Kowa from other binos with virtually the same specs? Namely the Athlon Midas HD, Hawke Frontier EDX and GPO Passion ED?

jgraider,

I undfortunately don't know the Athlon, nor the GPO Passion ED (I do have the GPO Passion HD, but that one has different specs than the ED)

The question about the Hawke Frontier, which not too long ago was upgraded to the "EDX" version, is interesting (I guess you know a thing or two about binoculars;) ) Specs of the two are indeed interestingly close.

This is what I said about the Hawke in a different context:
https://binocular.ch/hawke-frontier-ed-x-8x42/

But I haven't done a side-by-side with the Kowa yet, so would not dare to rate them "off the cough". Can do a side-by-side if there is interest.

I got the Hawke about 20% cheaper than the Kowa. How are the prices of the two at your location?

Canip

Attachments

• IMG_3319-1.jpg
    IMG_3319-1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 309
Prices are about the same for the Kowa, Hawke, and GPO here. The Athlon Midas is quite a bit cheaper. Thanks for your reply.

Yes.

And: Andy is right (post #7), that’s why you should have an option to return the Kowa in case it somehow doesn‘t fit your preferences.

Canip

Ok thanks again. I didn't know that there was a big difference in between the eyecups of the Kowa and the Nikon.

jraider,

The specs of those 8X42s listed are very similar, hmm.... Are you thinking of another 8X42 purchase?

Andy W.

I don't think so right now Andy. I'm weaning myself away from $1500+ binos because the "near alpha" stuff is so good nowadays it's hard to justify the increased $$$ to my feeble brain, and 58 yr old eyeballs. I'm thinking given the specs of the new Kowa in 8x42 it's got to be pretty much a clone of those I listed, with some proprietary lens coating tweaks I'm sure.

I'm always on the search for glass that way overperforms though, I'll admit.

JR

You are right, regarding lower cost with increased performance is now present in the production of optics. There seem to bee many clones in the 8 and 10X42 ranks. The only thing is, I do not see many closing that gap with respect to larger aperture optics except Tract with their 12.5 X 50 and the B Series from Maven. Meopta is probably the best value today with the Meostar Line, I consider them to be a premium glass.
I think the build quality is what I have been impressed with regarding the new Kowa BDII, since I have seen mid priced glass offerings with very good optics, only to be paired with mediocre and substandard construction.

Yes 1961 was a very good year for me too..as well as the hunt for good value.

Andy w.

I have finally decided to keep the Monarch 7 8x42 after comparing them in the last few days with the Kowa BDII-XD 8x42.

I really tried to like the Kowa but the focus wheel was not comfortable at all and also lacking precision versus the Nikon. I know it's a small detail and maybe it's because I'm picky or I got a lemon, but I don't see how someone can enjoy using the Kowa after using the Monarch 7.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back