• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Optika HD 8x42 Review (1 Viewer)

Here are Optics4Birding, we decided not to stock them. The main reasons are insufficient close focus for our local market, and unacceptably slow focus - 1080° from ∞ to 2.5m (8x) or 3m (10x). These are definitely more for the hunter than the birder, and useless for small leps and odes.

Last edited:
Here are Optics4Birding, we decided not to stock them. The main reasons are insufficient close focus for our local market, and unacceptably slow focus - 1080° from ∞ to 2.5m (8x) or 3m (10x). These are definitely more for the hunter than the birder, and useless for small leps and odes.

Steve,

Please check the forum rules.

I don't know what binoculars you were looking at, but the three samples of the Optika HD I've seen most certainly do not have a slow focus. 1080° is three complete revolutions. This 8×42 is less than one revolution, about 300°, between 2.3m and infinity, plus about another quarter turn beyond for those who need the extra correction. That is easily faster than any other binocular I own.

I accept I evaluated this binocular for birding not entomology. (Not the ideal season for that in the UK. ;)) Personally I rarely use a binocular at very close range, I have other devices for that, but I know others do, and like to know how quickly they can switch back to birding distances. I usually use 5m as the arbitrary divide.

Just out of curiosity I grabbed from the shelf 7 of my own binoculars that my wife and I use for birding in different situations and light conditions. Three had a closer focus than the Optika. One about the same, and three were longer. I guess 2.3m close focus is not a show stopper for us, but I know some others here will disagree.:-O

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back