• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Request - GRK - 10 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for these birds photographed during the passage migrants tour in Greater Rann of Kutch, Gujarat, India

1) Pallid Harrier?
2)
3)
4)

Attachments

• _MAN6902.jpg
    _MAN6902.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 59
  • _MAN7022.jpg
    _MAN7022.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 61
  • _MAN7043.jpg
    _MAN7043.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 42
  • _MAN7146.jpg
    _MAN7146.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 46
1 Unbarred primaries so Pied Harrier?
2 Is a Goshawk for me.
3 Brown Rock Chat
4 Pale Crag Martin?

Last edited:
The Harrier should be Pallid on face pattern (distinct crescent on ear-coverts joining stripe behind the eye and also meeting base of bill and relatively weak white markings above and below the rear of the eye), pale, if not white collar and dark "boa" on the neck. I'm not 100% sure, though, as there is some variability in these features. Dark carpal crescent better for Pallid, I think. However, lacks barring on outer primaries and secondaries look dark.

Any other opinions?

The Harrier should be Pallid on face pattern (distinct crescent on ear-coverts joining stripe behind the eye and also meeting base of bill and relatively weak white markings above and below the rear of the eye), pale, if not white collar and dark "boa" on the neck. I'm not 100% sure, though, as there is some variability in these features. Dark carpal crescent better for Pallid, I think. However, lacks barring on outer primaries and secondaries look dark.

Any other opinions?

Does this image help?

Attachments

• _MAN6913.jpg
    _MAN6913.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 31
it's a juvenile male montagu's harrier. especially in males barring in outer primaries can be reduced or even lacking as in this extreme case. face pattern is all wrong for pallid and pied harrier has 5 fingers.

it's a juvenile male montagu's harrier. especially in males barring in outer primaries can be reduced or even lacking as in this extreme case. face pattern is all wrong for pallid and pied harrier has 5 fingers.

Thanks Lou. I was going by the illustration of face pattern on this page, but I guess it may not be accurate. At least it accurately shows the absence of barring on the primaries that Andy referred to. The Helm Guide to Bird Identification is really good on these ringtail Harriers but I left my copy in somebody's car.

http://www.zestforbirds.co.za/ringtail.html

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back