• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is a second hand Leica Televid 77 with B32x WW for £630 good value? (1 Viewer)

I have found a used Leica Televid 77 for sale in my local area including the B32x WW eyepiece. I think it's without the case. He's selling it for £630, but I might be able to get it down a bit. Is this good value? Would it be better value than buying a modern scope in this price range?

Do the newer Leica eyepieces fit this scope or is it possible to buy a zoom eyepiece for the scope if needed? I am not sure that 32x will be enough for me.

How does this scope compare to the modern alpha scopes? What is the difference between the Televid 77 and APO-Televid 77?

I know of course that it's impossible to know what state the scope is in, but assuming a normally used scope.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.

old leicas have not that good light transmission,
and "older" zooms are not that great,
you can find several scopes in an old review here:

http://www.acctiver.com/downloads/Voegel_03-07_Spektivtest_70-75_low.pdf

I would probably go for a more recent model.
i buying second hand.
swaro maybe, ATS/ATM HD,

I would not buy a scope without APO/HD/ED etc.

new scopes,
Opticron MM3 60mm looks quite interesting,
could be a good scope to start with.

Last edited:
APO definitely preferable; both now discontinued. I have an APO62 with both of the eyepieces mentioned and it is a superb little scope that can still hold its own against more modern instruments. The later model zooms (with locking pin) are much better than the earlier ones but are very difficult to find now. Jane's idea sounds a good 'un; you could compare and make your own choice as to which pairing suits you best and sell the other, but I would probably go for the APO with zoom if it was a later zoom and forget the non-APO altogether.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back