• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron DBA VHD 8x42 question (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Probably a noob question but is there any difference between DBA VHD and DBA VHD + (plus) binos - are they two different versions?

Roy,

I was told that the "+" was an incremental change in coatings. Pete Gamby told me I wouldn't notice the difference, but decided against putting me to the test. ;)

David

Roy,

I was told that the "+" was an incremental change in coatings. Pete Gamby told me I wouldn't notice the difference, but decided against putting me to the test. ;)

David
Thanks David, I guess the coating change must have been some sort of upgrade or else why bother (but maybe just minor though) other reason could be cost cutting I guess.
That explains why some vendors quote "+" and other do not. As the prices seem similar I suppose it would be worthwhile trying to get the latest version!.

I actually preferred the Bga VHD, wider fov, closer min focus, haven`t tried the + yet though.
Thanks 'Torview' - I see there is little difference in weight and fov (both in favour of Bga as you point out) but the extra .5 mtre min focus could be very handy for butterflies etc.
The BGA VHD is over £100 cheaper than the DBA VHD - I wonder why?

Last edited:
Hi Roy, seems the DBA has ED objectives and a different prism material is listed, but I think its worth putting them side by side if you can, the BGA is very very nice.

Roy,

David
David here is the response I got from Opticron this morning re the "+".
"The only difference is a new coating applied to the prism unit in the VHD+ which increases light transmission resulting in a brighter image. This brighter images also makes the VHD+ appear sharper in comparison to the HD when viewing objects in low-light".

Hi Roy, seems the DBA has ED objectives and a different prism material is listed, but I think its worth putting them side by side if you can, the BGA is very very nice.
Thanks Torview - Unfortunately the only optics shop locally do not stock the BGA range so I cannot compare.

Roy - if you mean J&A Cameras, we can talk to them to get these in on sale or return for you to try at no obligation to buy.

Let me know and I'll get their area sales manager on the case.

Cheers, Pete

Roy - if you mean J&A Cameras, we can talk to them to get these in on sale or return for you to try at no obligation to buy.

Let me know and I'll get their area sales manager on the case.

Cheers, Pete
Thank you very much Pete :t: I will let you know. If I go for the Opticron's it will almost certainly be the DBA VHD+ as they are still well within my budget. I never had a lot of time when I went to J&A the other day so will go in again and have a better play around.

Last edited:
Roy - J&A Cameras has the DBA VHD+ 8x42 in stock when I visited them yesterday.

BW
Rob
Thanks Rob, it must have been the "+" ones that I tried then - it was not until I got home and started researching online that I found out there was a "+" version. Looking on J&A website it does not state that it is the "+" ones so thought I had better check.

Hi Roy,

Yes I’m sure it would have been. If you want to try the Imagic BGA VHD just PM me and I will see if I can arrange it.

HTH
Rob

Roy,

David

Awhile back I compared the Opticron view to a Vixen Artes J 8x42 , at that time to my eyes both were to close to call. I sold the Vixen and recently have had more time to use my recent purchase of Opticron’s DBA VHD(First Generation). The more I use them, I am finding the Opticrons much easier with eye placement due to their longer eye relief over the Vixens. This combined with how really bright these are ... these are really bright ! I am glad now I chose the Opticron over the Vixen. As Pete mentioned even with the incremental changes in the coatings of the “+” Second Generation I do not think I could perceive the difference. Unless someone just wants the “+” designation of the Second Generation on their 8x42 DBA VHD to show they have the latest version ... I would find a dealer who has the DBA VHD first generation in stock, there are some really good discounts now which could save you hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back