• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A frog he would a-viewing go! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
One night last week, after a VERY hot day, we had just settled down to watch the News on BBC1 (all windows and doors open, all lights turned off), when my husband said a frog had hopped across the floor and gone into the dining room - I thought he must be having hallucinations from the heat of the day. However, I humoured him by going through the hall towards the kitchen, while he went into the dining room, also towards the kitchen (our grandchildren enjoy doing "circuits" when they are here).

The first sight that met me in the kitchen was a HUGE hairy spider in the middle of the kitchen floor, then I spotted the frog in a corner. Malcolm came to my rescue, and despatched the spider, then I went to get an old icecream box to trap the frog. This was easily done, the lid put on and froggy was returned to the pond, while I prepared to sit down again - until Malcolm shouted - "he's coming back". Sure enough, the frog was back in the sitting room. He'd jumped out of the pond again, and headed straight back into the house. Fortunately I managed to usher him out again, with two pieces of folded newspaper, Malcolm came in, and we promptly closed the patio doors.

We just cannot understand why it visited us in the first place - and to return again like that is beyond our comprehension! Any ideas, or similar experiences anyone?

PS Why did I choose this title?

Strange that a frog came into my dining room the other night through the patio doors, even though it had to negotiate a 6" high step.

Susan - I had wondered if the spider had run in unnoticed, and the frog was in pursuit. How long is a frog's memory - because it did not see that the spider had been hastily dispatched! Was it really seeking out its prey again? I think not really, but it's a nice thought.

Kris - the height it had to negotiate here was 8"!

Well Hey Ho to Rowley, but Saturday night the frogs here were being extremely vocal, if I spoke this one replied, but anyone else other than my husband, got no response, so the question about memory must be quite long, as froggie hadn't croaked like that since spring, and then in reply to either hubby or me! Nina.

You'd love the routine I enter every evening, watering the plants, and topping up the pond, frogs everywhere, as I water late in the day they hop out over my feet and all around the garden. I dont water where the sun will return, so have thrushes, and blackbirds follow me closely until it gets dark, then the frogs come out to play, and as I disturb them I am constantly appologising for disturbing them, but I wonder if they are coming out to say thankyou, but hubby and I both talk to them, Graham croaks to them and I talk to them. He is always the first acknowledged, then I'm next, you'd think he did all the work with the responses he gets, but I'm the one with hose and food and all that stuff, but I'm only the second best, Oh well never mind, I haven't the time to spend so he reaps what I sow.
Will away on the 1st for a spell, to BGM in Devon, hope to see glossy ibis, spoonbill, and anything else I can get in my bins focussed on, regards to Malcolm, Nina.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back