• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there adders in Lancashire? (1 Viewer)

dampflippers

We were on holiday recently along the Rochdale canal. We went on a walk up from Walsden onto a moor with reservoirs, and down towards Summit, and I remarked that we should look out for snakes/ adders.
I was told that there were no adders there.
Is this right? Would there have been other snakes?
(Family pride at stake here! lol)

I live in Walsden but never seen a snake of any kind in the surrounding hills. Will try and find out and come back to you - but probably someone else will.

Sandra

As far as I know there are Adders in Lancs, although I'm not sure if they are found around Walsden. They certainly are found on moorland and thrive in areas such as the North Yorkshire Moors, so I see no reason why not.

Adders are the only snake species likely to be found in the area, along with Common Lizard and Slow-worms.

As far as I know there are Adders in Lancs, although I'm not sure if they are found around Walsden. They certainly are found on moorland and thrive in areas such as the North Yorkshire Moors, so I see no reason why not.

Adders are the only snake species likely to be found in the area, along with Common Lizard and Slow-worms.

The only adders in Lancs I have heard of have been in Bowland. Not impossible that they could be around Walsden though, plenty of apparently suitable habitat. I think you would need to contact a local group to confirm.

Mike...Is that confirmed that there are no grass snakes left in Lancs then? I remember hearing about there being doubts that any were left.

Thanks for the replies.
I wasn't in charge of the map....but I suppose it would be the start of the pennines, west of Halifax, north of Littlebrough.

Wash your mouth out with soap Stephen. Walsden is in West Yorkshire (only just) but you're soon in Lancashire when on the hill tops.

Interesting thread - never thought about snakes here before. I'm going to try the Wildlife in Rochdale site and see if there's any mention. The Calderdale web site usually focuses on the other side of the county.

Sandra

Mike...Is that confirmed that there are no grass snakes left in Lancs then? I remember hearing about there being doubts that any were left.

I wouldn't stake my life on there been no Grass Snakes in Lancs, although I don't know of any sites myself.

Grass Snakes seem to be quite scarce in the North, in fact I only know of a couple of reliable sites in East Yorks.

Personally I would assume there are Adders in any suitable upland habitat in mainland Great Britain, there are no climatological reasons not and little persecution by humans at altitude.

John

Personally I would assume there are Adders in any suitable upland habitat in mainland Great Britain, there are no climatological reasons not and little persecution by humans at altitude.

John

I have always thought that too John. As you suggest, no apparent reason why not.

I was aware that they where not as common as in more southerly areas but I have recently been surprised to realise how few sighting seem to be reported.
The lack of grass snakes in Lancashire has particularly surprised me. As you say, I wouldn't expect any great persecution. (Are they deemed a "pest" on shooting moors? I suspect they would take their fair share of eggs.) It would be interesting to see some historical records.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back