• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Televid 77 or Televid 62 APO (1 Viewer)

litespeed

LITESPEED
I currently own a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42's for birding but i am looking to
purchase a scope for Seawatching. I am currently looking at some second hand scopes (the wife is on to me!). The two Leica scopes, the 77 will give me greater light gathering but what does the APO bring to the party in the way of light and clarity. I know both will be good scopes but i thought i would throw it into the arena to see what the knowledgeable ones think!!!!
77 or APO?????????????????? And just to confuse things even further there is a Swarovski ATS 65HD advertised on here for £900 any thoughts.........

Thankyou for your help and support

Kind regards

Nick

I’d always get HD/ED/APO type glass if I could afford it, especially for challenging applications like sea watching where lighting conditions are often poor—glare, fog, mist, high-contrast white-or black-on-gray images, etc. I’ve had the Leica 77APO for a number of years now & am quite happy with it. I’ve found it perfect for sea-watching, particularly with the 32mm eye piece (though the zoom’s good too): sharp clean image with no color fringing at all. I have no experience with the 62mm Leicas—APO or otherwise—so can’t comment on those.

Avoid the 77 leica.

I’d always get HD/ED/APO type glass if I could afford it, especially for challenging applications like sea watching where lighting conditions are often poor—glare, fog, mist, high-contrast white-or black-on-gray images, etc. I’ve had the Leica 77APO for a number of years now & am quite happy with it. I’ve found it perfect for sea-watching, particularly with the 32mm eye piece (though the zoom’s good too): sharp clean image with no color fringing at all. I have no experience with the 62mm Leicas—APO or otherwise—so can’t comment on those.

There have been problems with lens coating on leica scopes, particularly the 77. These problems were often brought on by seawatching - I would avoid the 77. I understand the 62 is a better scope. I would look at other options including the Sworo 65 and 80mm scopes or the nixon 82 ED. if Budget is an issue, look at the big nixon with a 30x lens. A good scope and value for money. Bargains may be around as there is a new nixon just out. However, try everything out before you buy. :cat::cat:

I’ve owned my Leica 77 APO for 13 years & have never had any trouble with the coatings. But, when it comes to the alphas, more important than brand is quality-control. By all accounts (there are several old threads on scope QC in the BF archives) this can vary a lot from specimen to specimen, so as already said it's important to “try before you buy”.

There have been problems with lens coating on leica scopes, particularly the 77. These problems were often brought on by seawatching - I would avoid the 77. I understand the 62 is a better scope. I would look at other options including the Sworo 65 and 80mm scopes or the nixon 82 ED. if Budget is an issue, look at the big nixon with a 30x lens. A good scope and value for money. Bargains may be around as there is a new nixon just out. However, try everything out before you buy. :cat::cat:

I've owned the Leica 77 APO more or less since its conception and the front element is as good today as it was when purchased. Its an excellent scope and still hard to beat when fitted with the excellent 32mm wide eyepiece. I've also owned the 62mm, again a very good scope but no match for the 77mm. Its one minus point is its weight, if you can live with that and can get a good bargain, then I'd go for it. However £900 for the 65 ATS is also a very good buy, that too is a top scope and one of the most popular.

purchase a scope for Seawatching. I am currently looking at some second hand scopes (the wife is on to me!). The two Leica scopes, the 77 will give me greater light gathering but what does the APO bring to the party in the way of light and clarity. I know both will be good scopes but i thought i would throw it into the arena to see what the knowledgeable ones think!!!!
77 or APO?????????????????? And just to confuse things even further there is a Swarovski ATS 65HD advertised on here for £900 any thoughts.........

Kind regards

Nick

Hi Nick, I have bought an ATS65HD from a bird forum member in the summer & it is an amazing scope very light easy & a pleasure to use. In average to good light it's as bright & sharp as the ATS80HD & only slightly duller in poor light (but still very good). I have tried the Leica 77APO & its a good scope but in my opinion not as good as the Swarovski. Every body has there favourite scopes, you may prefer the Lieca but you won't know till you try them out. I would go for that second hand Swarovski 65 myself. As already said try before you buy & good luck which ever you go for. ATB, Neil.

I've owned a Leica 77 (non APO) for many years now, have on several occasions compared it side by side both here in UK and abroad with 77 APO version, latter does give punchier colour and contrast but for average birding even in dull light the bog standard 77 is superb. I tend to use the zoom more and don't digi-scope so cannot comment on pro's and cons. As for the coatings they are as good as when purchased and have been used in all sorts of climates and conditions.

2 years ago I purchased the APO 62 principally for its lighter weight for flight check in as I carry my optics in hand luggage. It also is superb and does what it says on the can so to speak but struggles in poor light when using the zoom eyepiece.

As others have said try before you buy what suits others may not satisfy you.

Good luck with your quest.

Stewart

Swaro Hd 65

Kind regards

Nick

I know the seller of the HD 65. He is very picky about his optics having worked in the optics area in the past! I know that the scope would have be very well looked after and will be a good example - as there is some variation in quality between units. It will be be a good unit!!

I am bias though as I own a HD 65 whicch I think is fab. It knocks spots of the leica is my view.:cat::cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back