• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone ID this please! (1 Viewer)

Frosty

I popped out to my garden shed last night, it was quite late and by the light of my mobile phone spotted this! I apologise for the focus but it was pitch black! I would estimate its length to be 6-8 inch (15-20cm).

It was very slow moving, but appeared by its shape and size to be preganent. Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers

Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3064 copy.jpg
    DSCN3064 copy.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN3075 copy.jpg
    DSCN3075 copy.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSCN3062 copy.jpg
    DSCN3062 copy.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 285
I dunno, I thought this was a serious forum!!

Oh and by the way its not a Marlboro Light!

I would be really interested to know what species it is, even if it means somebody directing me to a more appropriate forum!

Cheers

Frosty said:

I would be really interested to know what species it is, even if it means somebody directing me to a more appropriate forum!

Cheers
As stated by Cuckooroller - triturus cristatus (great crested newt) would be my guess too.

have a look here: http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~caleb/tricri.html

Frosty said:

Cheers

Hi Frosty,

I think my ID is right. Waiting for a confirmation from someone else. There are not too many Salamander species in UK and most from Triturus. The speckledness of this one would seem to indicate a female terrestrial phase T cristatus.

This is a serious forum but space must be given for light-hearted remarks lest it becomes too much like work. After all, to field some of these questions for others we must dedicate time and I hope that your remark was in jest.

;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back