• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

secondhand scope!!!Help! (1 Viewer)

Nadine

Hi! this is my first post....Im thinking of buying a scope and i'd like to know if its very risky to buy a 2nd hand Leica APO 77 w/zoom 20-60x?? for 980euros?

Nad

welcome to the forum Nadine

I'd have thought it would depend on the seller!! I'll let an expert give you some proper advice.

As you probably know, it's a superb scope. In general, used optics are very reliable... there's not too much to go wrong and the reliability of the products from the big traditional manufacturers such as Zeiss and Leica is amazing.
I'd still recommend viewing the scope before parting with the money... looking for obvious marks on the glass, fungi, dust/debris inside, checking the smoothness and accuracy of the focus wheels....and obviously looking through the thing at a bird ;)

Nadine said:
Ok! thanx :)
I agree with all that has been said, Nadine. The Leica Apo77 is superb and the zoom, too, is first class. But... I have seen two of these offered second-hand with cloudy looking inner coating on their front 77mm elements, so do have a very good look both at it and through it before you buy. Also, look through it at 20x at a plain clear sky (or even at a white wall out of focus - the focus is irrelevant for this test) and look for marks in the field of view. Tiny bubbles and specks of dirt often only show at minimum magnification. Also make sure the focus knobs are smooth and not in any way loose.

scampo said:
I agree with all that has been said, Nadine. The Leica Apo77 is superb and the zoom, too, is first class. But... I have seen two of these offered second-hand with cloudy looking inner coating on their front 77mm elements, so do have a very good look both at it and through it before you buy. Also, look through it at 20x at a plain clear sky (or even at a white wall out of focus - the focus is irrelevant for this test) and look for marks in the field of view. Tiny bubbles and specks of dirt often only show at minimum magnification. Also make sure the focus knobs are smooth and not in any way loose.

Thanx Again...Anything else I should check for? Im going to see it tomorrow!

scampo said:
Also, look through it at 20x at a plain clear sky (or even at a white wall out of focus - the focus is irrelevant for this test) and look for marks in the field of view. Tiny bubbles and specks of dirt often only show at minimum magnification.
Yep, good point.. though i do find having the scope at minimum focus distance shows up any contaminants slightly better, but certainly at minimum on the zoom e.p.

Ill be sure to check...
One more thing..the store gives me 6months garantee! If I had to buy a new one how many years garantee do I get?

At least ten years. But the price is about half the new price, I think. If it's in top notch optical condition, I think the guarantee is less important as scopes tend not to break down so far as my experience tells me (but can cost quite a lot to repair if they do go wrong).

Do try to get a stay-on case with it - and don't forget you need a decent tripod to sit it on, too! Velbon are quite good, also Manfrotto 190 + 128RC or 700RC head. Get one with easy locking so when you find what you want a quick twist or two locks the tripod well.

By the way, the Leica - although one of the top three of four scopes available for birding - is also the heaviest and longest of these scopes. Think about how far you might need to carry it around and certainly buy a rubberised 'bungee' type tripod strap or you'll soon have a sore shoulder.

Last edited:
Im confused...what should I do? They'll give me a two-year guarantee. And if I buy a new scope the'll give me 30years guarantee! The scope is in good optical condition, just a scratch on the body. Help! My budget right now will only get me the scope and the 32x ! do I wait or take it?

Nadine said:
Im confused...what should I do? They'll give me a two-year guarantee. And if I buy a new scope the'll give me 30years guarantee! The scope is in good optical condition, just a scratch on the body. Help! My budget right now will only get me the scope and the 32x ! do I wait or take it?

Check the Leica Passport that should accompany the scope - you'll see how old it is and how many years of the original warranty remain (I'm not sure if the warranty is void after change of ownership - ask Leica) - if it has never been registered with Leica and the registration paperwork is there you can return the paperwork for the warranty. Also, have a look on Leica website - there is an area you can do a search on serial numbers to check providence - not sure if telescopes are up there yet, but you can ring Leica and they'll tell you - they seem to like tracking the lives of their equipment. It is an excellent scope - not very light though and rumours are a new scope is on the horizon... but the proce you are looking at is very competitive...

Nadine said:

My understanding is that the Leica Televid comes with a 10 year warranty when new, not 30 years. Eyepiece is 5 years.

I believe that the warranty is transferable, should you have the warranty card or Leica passport. I understand that warranties for the USA are different.

Last edited:
Looking at the objective in glancing light can pick up any coating damage and scratches. Mind you, Leica use quartz coatings on the exposed surfaces so that helps reduce damage.

It sounds a good price if in decent nick, and anyway you won't lose much buying a used top end birding scope if you later decide to sell it (in a private sale of course).

I think this scope came out in the early 90's. I don't know what the expected lifetime is, but I would guess decades at least if well looked after? Maybe an occasional service (and oil change!) is required. I think the warranty only protects you against failure due to manufacturing faults?

buy it!

with the 32x

it is heavy but it will give you a lot of pleasure and you can always sell it on later and get something lighter if you're gonna do lots of birding. You probably wont lose much either when you do sell it on

if you have other options consider something lighter perhaps......

Nadine said:

Go for it - the two years will give you loads of time to find out about any problems (if there are any). It is a fantastic scope (yes a touch heavy) but you'll be very happy once it's yours.

Nadine said:
Thanxs for all the advice! the scope is great!...

Can we take it from your post that you have actually bought the said scope??

If so, congratulations, I think that you will get a great deal of enjoyment and better views of wildlife with it.

Colin said:
Can we take it from your post that you have actually bought the said scope??

If so, congratulations, I think that you will get a great deal of enjoyment and better views of wildlife with it.

Yep!! got it today...Im sure it will!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back