• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External preamp for sony PCM-M10 (1 Viewer)

birdy86

Hi!
I would like to ask you for advice. I would like to increase the volume of my recordings without adding noise and thought about the external battery powered preamp. if you know some goo equipment to $ 300 that will solve my problem I will be very grateful for help. My equipment is Sennheiser me-67/K6 and sony pcm-m10.

I would recommend you to try several options. M-Audio sells a cheap preamp (called audio buddy). For a probably better option you might buy a second hand mid range audio interface. The MOTU Ultralite has decent preamps, and you can configure it as just a preamp with no need to keep a computer attached to use it. Just power it with a battery.

If going the Ultralite way, buy the first issue with no onboard effects. Should be between 200 - 300 dollars.

SM PRo Audio claims that their little and cheap preamp XPM-1 has a S/N ratio greater than 105 dB.

More expensive but with more serious preamps (and four channels) RME makes a preamp called Quadmic. Maybe you can find it at a reasonable price.

Going more upscale, have a look at the Sound Devices MM1. I see it at $500 the BH. It's pricey but it has very nice specs.

Anyway, better to test before making a decision.

yes but almost everything you propose must be plug in to sorce of external energy. I need something which can be portable - batteries.

It's been a while since I've used my ME66/K6 with my M10, but my memory is that the level coming into the recorder was so high that I had it turned down a lot. I think I generally had it set to 5 in the high range.

Could it be that your cable is the issue? I've heard of people using transformers with the cable, which made things worse than a plain connection.

It might be a different story with the ME67, as it would reject more of the side noise that might be adding so much to the output of my ME66.

Don't know.. I have dedicated custom made cable xlr-3,5mm jack. I have no general problems but I would like to be able to record louder birds away more than 10 meters. This is a link to my recordings http://www.xeno-canto.org/contributor/JOHKCCVYCE
I still haven't had time to to listen to any of your recordings, but if your cable is wired straight through then that's not the problem. Have you thought about using a parabolic mic instead?

Hi Jacek,
I listened to your recordings. They are very good and clean, in my opinion they are about as good as you can get with a ME66. Beautiful recordings. (The Strura sound seems to break a bit though.) To improve I think you would need to go to a parabolic dish.

Regards
Harry J

The recordings are great indeed.

I forgot to mention: it would be worthy to visit a forum called "taperssection" which is devoted to mobile recording. They deal with music recording, but there's a section devoted to preamps and other accessories, and there is knowledgeable and helpful people there.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked my recordings. I thought about buying a parabola but the prices companies tellinga are too high for me now. pity because I do not like half-measures. they have a great parabola that can be rolled up and I like it because it facilitates the transport of which is of some importance to me. Whether the parabola is good to record owls?

The recordings are great indeed.

I forgot to mention: it would be worthy to visit a forum called "taperssection" which is devoted to mobile recording. They deal with music recording, but there's a section devoted to preamps and other accessories, and there is knowledgeable and helpful people there.
You may also want to consider joining the naturerecordists mailing list. There are many experts on that list who can give advice about your problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back