• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iphone microphone with wind noise cancelling (1 Viewer)

Sbiriguda

Hello,
I am a newbie and I need an ultra cheap solution for birding and animals for the next trip to Kruger Park (South Africa).
Right now I am just planning to use an Iphone perhaps with a "deadcat" to cancel windnoise. Otherwise I could consider to buy an external microphone for Iphone or a separate recording device, if it's possible to find it used

I will also use a D3100 Camera and a Canon Powershot 60 HS camera both of them with Microphone and they both could be used for recording with or without an external microphone

But honestly unless you advice differently I would like to use the Iphone and use an external mic, since it's more portable and this setup could prove useful also for other trips
Thanks

If you want something inexpensive which will work with both your phone and camera, have a look at the Boya BY-MM1 microphone. There are lots of reviews on Youtube and it is widely used for vlogging. It can be found on Amazon and eBay and contains all the components that you need.

A thing I found quite upsetting is that to use this mic with a smartphone you actually need an additional cold shoe mount (I think this is the name) to hold microphone and smartphone

A thing I found quite upsetting is that to use this mic with a smartphone you actually need an additional cold shoe mount (I think this is the name) to hold microphone and smartphone

Hi!

Did you buy and use that microphone with your smartphone for recording bird sounds and could you further share your experience with it?

I'm considering such a small, directional microphone to better record birdsounds wity my smartphone not to make great audio-recordings, but just for occasional personal documentation (e.g. to later check some identification and remember some sounds). Really wanting a very compact setup to just 'target' the bird sound a bit better than via the built-in microphone and wanting to know if that Boya would resuot in a noticeable/significant improvement.

Last edited:
Really wanting a very compact setup to just 'target' the bird sound a bit better than via the built-in microphone and wanting to know if that Boya would resuot in a noticeable/significant improvement.

I'm not the OP, but I have started using the BY-MM1 with my Nokia Android phone for recording birds, and yes it is a major step-up from the phone's mic., especially with the windsock on. Directionality of it is decent, better of course the closer the microphone is to the target and so, so much better than the phone by itself.

The other neat aspect of it though is that it just fits in my pants pocket, so it's almost unnoticeable that I'm carrying extra equipment.

You'd probably get better results with a better mic. but $30 AUD for something that makes such a large difference over phone alone is well worth it as an entry into recording bird calls.

I'm not the OP, but I have started using the BY-MM1 with my Nokia Android phone for recording birds, and yes it is a major step-up from the phone's mic., especially with the windsock on. Directionality of it is decent, better of course the closer the microphone is to the target and so, so much better than the phone by itself.

The other neat aspect of it though is that it just fits in my pants pocket, so it's almost unnoticeable that I'm carrying extra equipment.

You'd probably get better results with a better mic. but $30 AUD for something that makes such a large difference over phone alone is well worth it as an entry into recording bird calls.

I hadn’t seen your post yet. Sorry for not replaying earlier!
And thank you for the info! That is exactly what I was wondering.
I’ll probably look for such a Boya or a Rode VideoMic Me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back