• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban Tree Frog (1 Viewer)

scw1217

Posting this shot to try out the "attach file" and see if I know what I'm doing. :)

This is a Cuban Tree Frog. They are not native to Florida but an import from Cuba. They have a bad habit of crawling into people's houses and appearing in the bathroom. They come in a variety of colors, from white to brown to green. I have another shot of a pair that will illustrate this issue. Some say they are a threat to the native species of rain frog because they will eat them. I have also seen them aim for lizards and geckos.

Attachments

• cuban-tree-frog.jpg
    cuban-tree-frog.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 669
These the same species. Also the same pipe as the former. Seems to be a popular place for these frogs.

Attachments

• frogs.jpg
    frogs.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 523
LOL, you've brought back memories of when I lived in Florida. I cannot tell you how many frogs would get into the intake and outputs of our inground pool.

When I was a kid, I used to have a great fear/phobia of frogs and toads so er......thanks!

Great pics mind. You should put them in the gallery if you havn't done already.

It always seems to be the non-native species eating the native ones!! If it was the other way round then they would have no problem getting rid of em!!

Hi Seb-seb;
At least in Europe it is often the native species succeeding; otherwise with all that has been imported, we wouldn´t recognise our fauna and flora any more!!!
On the other hand the cases where a non-native species succeeds are often desastrous, as they can change a whole ecosystem! (when the native species is the superiour competitor, you won´t realise there had been that competition because the tiny initial population of the introduced species is exterminated fast and everything just stays as it was).

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back