• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kidnap baby Starlings. (1 Viewer)

Bird and squirrel lover.
Ok, I got a couple resident Starlings, no problem there, anyways I am looking up information on them etc, to decide what to put out for food wise for them specifically, as I do with every species that enter my yard. Anyways I came across this site.
http://www.dpgraph.com/janine/starling.html

They give a lot of useful information except they talk a lot about how to approach a starling nest etc. to steal the baby, and that it is LEGAL since the bird is not "NATIVE" to the USA.

WHEN TO KIDNAP A BABY STARLING

PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE! Someone who works in wildlife rehabilitation reminded us that it is legal to kidnap a starling in the United States because it is a non-native species. It is ILLEGAL and CRUEL to "adopt" a native bird. If you find an injured or lost native bird, you should contact your local zoo, aviary, Audobon Society representative, Fish and Wildlife service, or other expert for advice.

We also ask that before you "rescue" a starling, you realize that most people in the United States regard starlings as pests. Starlings drive out native birds, most notably the purple martin. You should only adopt a starling if you intend to keep it. If you raise one, and release it, you are introducing a non-native bird into the environment.

If you live outside of the United States you should check local regulations before taking any bird from the wild.

Having warned you . . .

A good time to catch a starling is when it is just learning to fly, but hasn't left the nest. If you've been watching a starling nest, you can sneak over to it around this time, probably in May, and grab one of the birds.

What in whatever heck is wrong with these people? Robbing a perfectly good nest is not right, even if you do consider them a "PEST". I am basically in AWE not sure what to even say or where to start.

What are your thoughts on "KIDNAPPING" Starlings?

I can't imagine why anyone would WANT to kidnap a Starling.
They are kind of obnoxious with all their vocalizations...I mean it is a mimic and I guess some people get off on having those types of birds in the house...

Oh, and they are pests. At least to the Purple Martin population.
And if you are near an area where they congregate, their poo, in large quantities can be toxic...the dust from it that is. Eye damage.

I think this kind of bahavior though could lead to the 'kidnapping' of birds who are native and that would be much more of a problem.

Last edited:
I think it is wrong to take any animal out of the wild and keep it in captivity. If they are born wild they should stay wild. Wether they are indigenous or not. We have lots of none native species in the UK, you just have to live and let live.

I'm not sure what I said before, but nature will take care of starlings, and all things. Best not to mess with even non native species.

Why on earth should anyone want to kidnap a young Starling?.They belong with their parents,as should all young birds.A preposterous idea.No bird should be caged unless it is sick or injured,and then should be returned to the wild as soon as poss.

christineredgate said:
No bird should be caged unless it is sick or injured,and then should be returned to the wild as soon as poss.
In the linked page it states that with Starling not being native to the USA, that even had you rescued one and brought it back to health it is ILLEGAL to re-release it, since it is a non native bird, Essentially you are introducing a new species. As silly as that sounds.

-25 said:
Ok, I got a couple resident Starlings, no problem there, anyways I am looking up information on them etc, to decide what to put out for food wise for them specifically, as I do with every species that enter my yard. Anyways I came across this site.
http://www.dpgraph.com/janine/starling.html

They give a lot of useful information except they talk a lot about how to approach a starling nest etc. to steal the baby, and that it is LEGAL since the bird is not "NATIVE" to the USA.

What in whatever heck is wrong with these people? Robbing a perfectly good nest is not right, even if you do consider them a "PEST". I am basically in AWE not sure what to even say or where to start.

What are your thoughts on "KIDNAPPING" Starlings?

My thoughts are more in feeding them.They love all kinds of food which is why they are such great survivors.Fruit eg. pears,apples,grapes,raisins,sultanas.

Seeds,fat balls,household scraps.The list goes on, by trial and error.

We have up to 50 visit on a good day and I am so happy to see them :clap: :flyaway:

I totally agree Mary Evelyn, it was during my search for specific food for them since I have about 8 nesting within site of my window that I came across the linked website about kidnapping them, It just struck me as WRONG and weird. But some may see them as pests, I will gladly feed then, I am hoping for a large roost of them this year since many years before I have seen tons locally, and I have seed prepared to feed them all. LOL

-25 said:
I totally agree Mary Evelyn, it was during my search for specific food for them since I have about 8 nesting within site of my window that I came across the linked website about kidnapping them, It just struck me as WRONG and weird. But some may see them as pests, I will gladly feed then, I am hoping for a large roost of them this year since many years before I have seen tons locally, and I have seed prepared to feed them all. LOL

They are such fun to watch,so comical and I know to some they are pests but I won't even go there.I will enjoy them while they are here and will feed them too, as much as they need.Enjoy them, you are as lucky as I am.Soak sultanas overnight in the breeding season and watch them disappear :loveme: :flyaway:

Sultanas? Not sure what that is. Is it just a raisin? Cus that is what it looks like, but nothing in dictionary.com and not much for google results.

-25 said:
Sultanas? Not sure what that is. Is it just a raisin? Cus that is what it looks like, but nothing in dictionary.com and not much for google results.

Oops sorry, Sultanas are dried fruit and bought usually in the same area as the raisins.Really popular here. :flyaway:

Tero said:
I'm not sure what I said before, but nature will take care of starlings, and all things. Best not to mess with even non native species.

Spot on as soon as we (humans) intervene in anyway the whole thing just gets cocked-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back