• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 501 head - which tripod? (1 Viewer)

I own a Swarovski ATS80 HD plus 20x60s eyepiece. The intention is to use the scope with a compact digital camera or possibily a DSRL, and venture into the world of digiscoping. I have been advised to use the Manfrotto 501 tripod head, as this head will easily cope with the additional weight when I decide to expand my system and start using a DSLR.

My choice of tripod to go with the 501 head is the Manfrotto 055v. Is this a good match?

Glen Christian said:
My choice of tripod to go with the 501 head is the Manfrotto 055v. Is this a good match?

That's the exact set up I use and I'm very happy with it - I use mine with a Swaro AT80HD and also for my dslr and long lens, with absolutely no complaints.

Swarovski balance plate

postcardcv said:
That's the exact set up I use and I'm very happy with it - I use mine with a Swaro AT80HD and also for my dslr and long lens, with absolutely no complaints.
Thanks for the confirmation. Will the scope fit directly onto the 501 head, and is it neccessary that I purchase the swarovski balance plate?

Glen Christian said:
Thanks for the confirmation. Will the scope fit directly onto the 501 head, and is it neccessary that I purchase the swarovski balance plate?

the head is supplied with a quick release plate which attaches to the foot of the scope - the balance rail would not work with the 501 head, it's designed for use with a 128 head.

postcardcv said:
the head is supplied with a quick release plate which attaches to the foot of the scope - the balance rail would not work with the 501 head, it's designed for use with a 128 head.

In that case how would I balance the scope + camera on the head. Sorry, I'm new at this.

Glen Christian said:
In that case how would I balance the scope + camera on the head. Sorry, I'm new at this.

Hi Glen

The 501 has a built in sliding plate that will allow you to slide the weight of your digiscoping outfit forwards to balance, if the standard plate does not travel enough then Manfrotto make a longer plate - 501PLONG which allows further travel. The 055V legs will be perfect for the job.

I have the same combination too. Works well, but I wish the tripod was a little stiffer. To achieve that though, it would need to be a carbon one, and they are absurdly expensive. One day ....

Tannin said:
I have the same combination too. Works well, but I wish the tripod was a little stiffer. To achieve that though, it would need to be a carbon one, and they are absurdly expensive. One day ....

Hello Tannin,
since I've just bought this tripod, I'd like to get some opinions about it and some advice on how to improve its usage as well ... I've used it just a couple of days, and I'm very satisfied ... do you consider it not so solid/stable?
Thank you,
Max

when we combined the 501 head n 055 tripod, what actually the total weight if the scope's weight about 1.5kg ?

i intend to use the scope n tripod with the head for walking long hours in a day for birding ...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back