Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lug style connectors for EL FP Bins

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 08:20   #1
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Lug style connectors for EL FP Bins

Just taken delivery of a pair of 8x32 EL FP's (my first Swarro). I see on line that there are Lugs to enable the fitting of a traditional neck strap but cannot find a UK supplier for these. Does anyone know where I can get them please?
Also is there any other accessories that you would recommend - is the Winged Eyecup Set worth getting?
Thanks in advance.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 09:06   #2
Corvus cornix

I bought my EL's last year from Focus Optics. They stocked the lugs for the traditional style straps, I'd give them a try.

www.focusopticsltd.co.uk

Cheers

Matt
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 09:36   #3
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvus cornix View Post
I bought my EL's last year from Focus Optics. They stocked the lugs for the traditional style straps, I'd give them a try.

www.focusopticsltd.co.uk

Cheers

Matt
Thanks Matt , they do not seem to advertise them but I will give them a shout to see if they have them.

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 13:10   #4
prc6995

Just contact Swarovski directly & they'll send you a pair out free of charge, also ask for a pair of the mounting pins & a spare occular cover too to save you transferring them between strap & harness.

Don't forget to register the bins as you'll get an additional year warranty.
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 13:12   #5
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
Just taken delivery of a pair of 8x32 EL FP's (my first Swarro). I see on line that there are Lugs to enable the fitting of a traditional neck strap but cannot find a UK supplier for these. Does anyone know where I can get them please?
Also is there any other accessories that you would recommend - is the Winged Eyecup Set worth getting?
Thanks in advance.
Hmmm.. I have 8.5X42, 10X50, and 12X50 EL Fps...ALL came with FP lugs/strap AND traditional lugs in the box.

You might also look at getting a Rick Young Ultralight harness...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C825FEC-1F10-44BC-821B-1134A0E4C48B.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	689535  

Last edited by chill6x6 : Thursday 14th March 2019 at 13:13. Reason: Added info...

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 13:16   #6
prc6995

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Hmmm.. I have 8.5X42, 10X50, and 12X50 EL Fps...ALL came with FP lugs/strap AND traditional lugs in the box.

Maybe they're included in the US but not here in Europe.
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 13:20   #7
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc6995 View Post
Maybe they're included in the US but not here in Europe.
Could be....

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 15:29   #8
mwhogue

Roy yes based on my experience and use, the SW winged eyecup set is worth trying. Another option are the Field Optics version. Each have advantages and disadvantages in installation and use. I can respond in more detail if you are interested.

Congrats on your first set of Swaros.

Mike
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 19:44   #9
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhogue View Post
Roy yes based on my experience and use, the SW winged eyecup set is worth trying. Another option are the Field Optics version. Each have advantages and disadvantages in installation and use. I can respond in more detail if you are interested.

Congrats on your first set of Swaros.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I may try the winged eyecup set.

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 19:46   #10
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Can anyone clarify if traditional lugs should have been included with my bins (UK) ???
I cannot even see any mention of these lugs on any UK website although I have not actually contacted any one yet.

Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 20:24   #11
Corvus cornix

When I was researching before buying mine (8x32 EL FP), there seemed to be some mentions of the lugs being included so you'd have the choice of which strap type to use. However, mine didn't come with the traditional-type lugs and most people I've seen appear to have the field-pro straps. Don't know if that's through preference or necessity. Seems likely that the UK suppliers don't routinely supply the lugs for traditional straps. May be worth contacting Swarovski UK for confirmation.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Thursday 14th March 2019, 21:05   #12
prc6995

Quote:
Can anyone clarify if traditional lugs should have been included with my bins (UK) ???
I cannot even see any mention of these lugs on any UK website although I have not actually contacted any one yet.
No, you don't get them supplied in the box. As I said above contact Swarovski support either via email or their website & they'll send you a pair FOC.
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 10:17   #13
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by prc6995 View Post
No, you don't get them supplied in the box. As I said above contact Swarovski support either via email or their website & they'll send you a pair FOC.
Thank you, I have emailed Swarovski .

Old Friday 15th March 2019, 14:29   #14
Tringa45

I take it the lug adapters also have the annoying habit of rotating through 360 and leaving a twist in the carrying strap? Why does Swarovski have to re-invent the wheel and make senseless modifications to features which have always worked satisfactorily?
Examples are the carrying straps on the SV, Field Pro and CL, a succession of impractical rain guards, and a dioptre lock on the Field Pro (?), where the risk of inadvertant adjustment on the SV was virtually zero.

John
Old Friday 15th March 2019, 14:55   #15
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
I take it the lug adapters also have the annoying habit of rotating through 360 and leaving a twist in the carrying strap? Why does Swarovski have to re-invent the wheel and make senseless modifications to features which have always worked satisfactorily?
Examples are the carrying straps on the SV, Field Pro and CL, a succession of impractical rain guards, and a dioptre lock on the Field Pro (?), where the risk of inadvertant adjustment on the SV was virtually zero.

John
John,

I had your complaint until I found that I could also rotate (spin) the twisted straps on my CL Companion 8x30 B and untangle the twist that way. It is very easy to do and faster than untwisting a strap fastened to the binocular in the old manner.

I do have other minor complaints concerning comfort when I am using the binocular. The lugs annoy the outside of the back knuckles on my index fingers when I am holding the binocular and I'm always checking them to see if they are properly locked.

The rain guards on the oculars are a bit snug. The objective covers work perfectly (they don't fall off).

The diopter is easy to change once you find the very tiny black guidance markings on the back rim of the focus wheel. Marking them white would have been much better!

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Friday 15th March 2019 at 15:11.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th March 2019, 15:48   #16
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

I have no problem with the Swaro system and the neck strap is quite comfy for me. But I am used to using a Op/tech wide neck strap with my old binoculars so would like the opportunity of using it if I want (Swarovski are sending me a set of lugs)
I am a bird photographer who often carries bins around my neck as well as my Camera/lens on a bandolier type harness so it could well turn out that the new Swaro system of quickly adjusting the neck strap length will be ideal for me (not had the weather to try it yet).

Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 11:09   #17
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

I emailed Swarovski.com yesterday afternoon re the lugg connectors and they forwarded to the UK division. I received two pairs of Lugg connectors in the post this morning - that's great service

Old Saturday 16th March 2019, 14:03   #18
prc6995

Quote:
I emailed Swarovski.com yesterday afternoon re the lugg connectors and they forwarded to the UK division. I received two pairs of Lugg connectors in the post this morning - that's great service
Swarovski aftercare & service is excellent.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 22:48   #19
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tringa45 View Post
Why does Swarovski have to re-invent the wheel and make senseless modifications to features which have always worked satisfactorily?
Yes, I even disliked their previous attempt at an easy-adjust strap which still comes on SLCs. I never do that, it would be too much trouble to get it back as I wanted it again, and there are loose plastic ends that can blow around in the wind and other hard projections to damage things in transit. I had to buy another strap. At least the current cases are more sensible compared to their weird bloated predecessors.
Old Sunday 17th March 2019, 22:50   #20
tenex

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
How does that work? Someone here recently recommended it to me, but all I see is thin hard shock cord. What cushions your neck, especially if just worn as a neck strap? How large a bino do you use it on?
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 13:57   #21
MandoBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
...Marking them white would have been much better!

Bob
They're saving that for the revolutionary Mk. II version...
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 16:30   #22
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoBear View Post
They're saving that for the revolutionary Mk. II version...

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 18th March 2019, 23:15   #23
mwhogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
How does that work? Someone here recently recommended it to me, but all I see is thin hard shock cord. What cushions your neck, especially if just worn as a neck strap? How large a bino do you use it on?
Tenex

Chill66/Chuck is a big fan of the RY Harness and i believe he swears by it all the way up to 10x50 (maybe beyond?--can't recall). I love mine but so far only use it on up to 8x32 but will try it on larger bins myself. It is so easy to put on and adjust that I only very rarely use it as a neck strap for casual viewing in the yard without a problem. Many report it is more comfortable than they thought it would be and I agree based on extensive use.
Old Monday 18th March 2019, 23:59   #24
mwhogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenex View Post
Yes, I even disliked their previous attempt at an easy-adjust strap which still comes on SLCs. I never do that, it would be too much trouble to get it back as I wanted it again, and there are loose plastic ends that can blow around in the wind and other hard projections to damage things in transit. I had to buy another strap. At least the current cases are more sensible compared to their weird bloated predecessors.
Agree about the new swaro accessories - mostly don't like them or use them. Except I like the new objective covers. However, I much prefer the old hard rain guard and the old case which can be very useful.

The old cases are oversized but that means you can if you like use the 42 case for 10x50, the 32 case for 8.5 x42 and the CL case for 32s. Carrying around the waist without putting the belt thru your belt loops allows the bins to be easily shifted 360 degrees around your body to transfer weight and bulk to ideal position as you negotiate changing terrain. The clamshell double zip design allows for reasonably safe carry in a partially open position without rainguard, objective covers or neck strap using only the swaro hand strap for instant minimalist deployment. Even when downsizing the case, you can also use a full size neck strap and lens covers with this method. This also has the advantage of carrying the weight of larger binoculars lower on your body. A very under-appreciated carry method in my experience and a shame Swarovski has discontinued the case.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: