Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A Very Casual World List, part VI: India

Old Thursday 6th February 2020, 11:31   #1
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

A Very Casual World List, part VI: India

(Continued from Part V: United Arab Emirates)

India is a whirlwind of impressions - many amazing sights, mostly annoying sounds. The crowds and traffic are a wonderment, the car horns are constant (trucks actually have "please honk" written across the back), and the smog hides the sky.

I'm taking so many photos I'm going to get weeks behind again, though Internet and cell coverage are mostly excellent.

Bird-wise, first thing I noticed was large numbers of kites overhead. I assume these are Black Kites, Milvus Milgrans (not sure I can tell the subspecies - lineatus and govinda would both be in range for Delhi, right?).

Here's a close-up:

Black Kite

The next bird you'll notice (but this would be after the monkeys on the rooftops, and the cattle wandering the streets) are the rose-ringed parakeets (seen here in the village of Holipuri).

Last edited by nartreb : Thursday 6th February 2020 at 11:57.
Old Sunday 9th February 2020, 06:34   #2
nartreb

India part 2: Chambal river

We took a short boat ride on this nearly pristine river a short drive south of Agra.

The garials and soft-shell turtles were the main attractions, but there were plenty of birds.

In another thread I showed poor photos of black-bellied tern, and eastern buzzard.

There were also stilts, sandpipers, and a few others that I didn't get any photos of, but there were some eye-poppers that I did capture.

greater thick-knee

little cormorant

river lapwing

ruddy shelducks

great egret

grey heron

great cormorant

egyptian vultures

pied kingfisher
Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 05:06   #3
nartreb

India part 3: Agra.

When in northern India, the Taj Mahal is a mandatory stop. Both the grounds and the neighboring Yamuna river were birdier than expected.

House crows were anywhere food might be found, including on the backs of passing nilgai.

The famous Himalaya-crossing bar-headed geese packed the riverbank, along with many other swimmers and waders - stilts, egrets, herons, cormorants, lapwings, and others too distant to ID with confidence.

In the fountains and courtyards of the Taj itself I got good close-ups of a white-throated kingfisher and of a cattle egret.

I also got a half-decent photo of a common mynah, which for some reason I haven't gotten a satisfactory shot of since seven years ago in Hawaii.
Old Saturday 15th February 2020, 05:10   #4
nartreb

India part 4: Jaipur

Jaipur was a base from which to visit multiple forts and of course the Ranthambore tiger reserve. The latter was spectacular - stay tuned for those photos.

In the town itself, I got good photos of red-wattled lapwings and jungle babblers.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: