• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 birds / Huelva, SW Spain (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Hello,

2 warblers and a wader. The wader I believe is Green Sandpiper?

Thank you for your feedback!

Jose

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.38.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.38.05 PM.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.39.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.39.27 PM.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.38.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 6.38.51 PM.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 98
1. Zitting cisticola
2. Looks like a Willow warbler to me but others on here have more expertise with Phylloscopus.
3. Marsh sandpiper

1. Zitting cisticola
2. Looks like a Willow warbler to me but others on here have more expertise with Phylloscopus.
3. Marsh sandpiper

I concur with Zitting Cisticola (its not a clear pic though) - my first thoughts were also Willow Warbler but coming back to it, Iberian Chiff is very possible. The ‘Marsh’ is a rather a Greenshank!

just seen Alex’s post - no I wasnt sure lol

Last edited:
Are you sure with the wader? It looks more like a Greenshank to me.
The first seems a pitfall-picture to me. So I ask for more pictures, but it doesnt look like a Zitting cisticola to me.
The second bird might be a Willow warbler, but it might also be an Iberean Chiffchaff or even a brightly coloured Chichaff, the legs appear so blackish on my screen

Are you sure with the wader? It looks more like a Greenshank to me.
The first seems a pitfall-picture to me. So I ask for more pictures, but it doesnt look like a Zitting cisticola to me.
The second bird might be a Willow warbler, but it might also be an Iberean Chiffchaff or even a brightly coloured Chichaff, the legs appear so blackish on my screen

Agree wader is Greenshank. Bill not fine enough for MS. Also don't think 1 is a Zitting Cisticola, but such a poor image wouldn't like to call it!

First picture: i think the streaks on the head should be seen in this picture, I think the slightly downcurved bill is a pitfall/single-picture artefact.
But my feeling is a Common whitethroat (or a Subalpine Warbler, it looks so tiny, chiffchaff like). So I wold ask for more pictures and hope to learn from more experienced birders

Thank you all for the feedback!

Some new pictures.

Unfortunately I could not photograph the first bird well enough. But I it may be indeed a Zitting Cisticola. There were others in the area.

Looking forward your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jose

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.05.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.05.20 PM.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.13.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.13.35 PM.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.08.09 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.08.09 PM.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.06.34 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 8.06.34 PM.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 25
Wow, I must admit I was sure the first isnt a Zitting Cisticola. But on the new pictures, I can see a striped cap, looking right for this species. Why isnt it there on the first picture?
I remember Zitting Cisticola observations far away with dizzy air, but they looked always(?) capped to me. This bird seemed to me with a uniform head, whitish eyering, paler loral area and whitish throat, but the new pictures look different.
And I thought the picture in the first post proves the tail isnt white tipped, but in the new posts I think I can see the right tail pattern.
I cant remember a Zitting Cisticola with so abreaded tail-feathers that the white on the tail has vanished.
Conclusion: always be catiuos, when you detect a pitfall-picture.
So thanks Deb Burhinus and Waxwings!

Or is it just a new set of pitfall pictures?

With the new picture, the warbler seems indeed like a Willow Warbler to me,the legs dark but not black, dark legs with a brown-reddish tinge ok for Willow, as the bill (size, large pale basal part and jizz looks good and wrong for Chiffchaff).
But I would like to learn from others with more experience with Iberean Chiffchaff.
I dont think, the second is a pitfal picture, but the angle wasnt IDfriendly in the first picture.

While the first picture of the Willow-Chiffchaff seems to have all dark ear coverts with just a small pale area (so within varation for Willow, but a little bit better for Chiffchaff), the second picture gives a more Willow warbler like head pattern.
I must admit, when I see a warbler with blackish (not dark) legs, and clear green/yellow tones, I am strongly biased towards Chiffchaff.
Because when I see a Willow warbler with blackish legs, it is a grey/brown bird. Two examples here:
https://club300.de/photo/fitis_864711.jpg (Angermünde/NE-Germany - April 2015)
Or the attached bird (Gunzenhausen-Wald/S-Germany, 09.04.2012)

Attachments

• Fitis.jpg
    Fitis.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back