• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stercorarius?? Spain (1 Viewer)

Yes, Stercorarius; probably S. skua, though not sure how one would exclude some of the southern hemisphere species. In moult, with feather loss exposing white feather bases that are normally hidden.

Brown Skua stays South and Southpolar Skua would be plainer and colder coloured. Looks fine for Great Skua.

Suspicious is mainly the greyish brown base colour. Only juvenile Great Skua would be as plain at the underside but much darker and warmer brown. Still, it could be bleached or the colour of the photo misleading... also late December would be a strange date for SP Skua I suppose.

I still use Bonxie:t:

I saw several of them in December flying thru/around Dhakla i must admit i didn’t give a thought to grilling them they just looked liked Bonxies...

Laurie -

Suspicious is mainly the greyish brown base colour. Only juvenile Great Skua would be as plain at the underside but much darker and warmer brown. Still, it could be bleached or the colour of the photo misleading... also late December would be a strange date for SP Skua I suppose.
I saw several of them in December flying thru/around Dhakla i must admit i didn’t give a thought to grilling them they just looked liked Bonxies..
Thanks! Judging by geotagged birds, it seems South Polar Skua must be very much overlooked in Moroccan waters - see Fig. 1a here :t:

Interesting study, thanks for posting the link Nutty.
Looks as though Lou (Rolling Thunder, not Salomon!) should have done a bit of grilling of his Dhakla ‘Bonxies’ after all :eek!:

Nice one Nutty, but now I have to swot up again on these Skuas to be ready for seawatching here in the Algarve ;) ....hand on forehead, reaching for panadol! :-O

On a serious note though, my seawatching from Cabo de São Vicente would mean no photos probably - the thought of getting a South Polar go by and then gone in the scope and having the balls to tell anyone for fear of being a madman is a worrying reality!

On a serious note though, my seawatching from Cabo de São Vicente would mean no photos probably - the thought of getting a South Polar go by and then gone in the scope and having the balls to tell anyone for fear of being a madman is a worrying reality!

Warn them ahead of time to keep their eyes open

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back