• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Q-Barlow 2.25X HT-mulicoated (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

Earlier this week I ordered one of these high quality barlows for my birthday which is at the end of the month. Couldn't resist a few test photos this morning. They've come down in price lately, this one was £45 on Amazon but you can pay almost double at some outlets.

Very high quality glass with high transmission multi coatings. It's sold as 2.25X but the nose can be removed from the barlow case and then it can be screwed into an eyepiece barrel. In that set up it is reduced to 1.3X. Haven't checked what I was getting on the scope in the way that I had it mounted but it was above 2X I'd say.

Photos all with SW80ED from around 8m to 15m range and all are uncropped. On a couple of them I trimmed the sides off the photo but they are uncropped on the heights.

Paul.

Attachments

• Baader1.jpg
    Baader1.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 270
  • Baader2.jpg
    Baader2.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Baader3.jpg
    Baader3.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Baader4.jpg
    Baader4.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 223
Couple more from yesterday with the new Baader barlow. Pigeon is uncropped from around 10m. Moon is a stack of 6 images using the built in Photoshop stacking script. Just hand holding the scope with it resting on the rotary washing line for these two images. I imagine the moon will come out even better when I can get the tripod out of the art studio and start using mirror lock up etc. Added a close up crop of the moon image too.

Paul.

Attachments

• DSC_1450.jpg
    DSC_1450.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 263
  • Moon_March9th.jpg
    Moon_March9th.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 226
  • moon_crop.jpg
    moon_crop.jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
On the moon shot, where was it in the optical path, right in front of the camera? How did you mount it?
Seen them on the Baader website for €49.-

Last edited:
On the moon shot, where was it in the optical path, right in front of the camera? How did you mount it?
Seen them on the Baader website for €49.-

I have it fairly close to the camera, as close as I can get it with bits I have available for mounting. A quick measure shows it's 1.5" from the front of the camera. I unscrewed the barlow from the Baader housing and screwed it into a regular eyepiece 1.25" chrome barrel. The chrome barrel has a male thread on the other end and it's the exact same thread to screw into one of my Nikon macro tubes. I took a quick photo on my tablet. I'd like to get it even closer to the camera but this will do for now.

Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_20170313_205510~01.jpg
    IMG_20170313_205510~01.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 252
LTTs

Some LTTs from fairly close range. There was a whole swarm of them, difficult to decide which one to track as they are seldom still more than a second, jumping frpm twig to twing. TLAPO804 I should have mentioned.

Attachments

• P1150145.jpg
    P1150145.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 148
  • P1150116.jpg
    P1150116.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 169
  • P1150128.jpg
    P1150128.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 202
Paul,
I see. Lucky you had such a simple way of mounting it. Might be worth a try. €49 is NOT much risked, and if I don't like it, I can always sell it, which is not the case with our various telenegatives. Any Vignetting?

Tord,
I love those little guys. They are so amusing, and yes, they are HARD to nail! This is the best I have been able to do, taken four years ago:
10744949353_d2cd38d207_b.jpg
Only seen one this year, none at all last year. Usually they show up in a group of maybe 8 or 10, flit around for a few seconds and then they are gone. We also love Bearded Tits, but we have only seen them once down in Hungary, never here. Both very amusing species.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back