• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

Four Kingfisher Saturday

A pair of Kingfisher by their nest this morning on the River Rea, then another pair on the River Cole, also I expect by their nest. Great!!
I timed my run just right to hear the Kingfisher fly up the Cole and then back down again, as I ran back down and then it was doing the two tone call to it's mate responding.
Grey Wagtails present at both locations and I know they are on the Bourn, Bourn Brook and Woodbrook.

River Rea, Selly Park this morning, the kingfisher flew 10 metres above my head calling for it's mate. Not much activity at the nest. I hope the female is still sat on the eggs. I hope they have not got disturbed again, it's difficult to tell. I did see one of them fly from from that direction last week.
(On the home front, the Dunnock have two young again this year, feeding in the garden, on the Dutch kingfisher front, they look ready to fledge, on the IJsvogelnest link; http://www.natuurkanaal.nl/)

River Rea, Selly Park this afternoon, the Kingfisher was fishing on one of the old kingfisher spots. Swifts overheard, a Heron and heron size fish. Great!

No Kingfisher for me at Wychall but there was a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by crows and a magpie.
On the Rea at Selly Park there were the pair of Kingfisher both calling, one did a body roll as it went past. Three Grey Wagtails that I also saw last weekend when one of them landed on the bridge wall the same time as I looked over.
On the Bournbrook walkway, Weoley Castle, they've cleared a lot of trees. This means the brook is quite exposed. I could see the fish. I heard a bird give a call on the brook and I thought possible Kingfisher and there it was further down the brook. I then found it by a bridge and then it flew back up the brook calling. It then called quite a bit behind some bushes and I presume it caught a fish. It then surprisingly flew near to me on the walkway before showing it's colours as it went round a bend. Great to find one on the stretch again. The fourth year on the Bournbrook since I started looking.

Pair of Kingfisher on the usual spot, Selly Park, Heron & grey wagtails.
There was a juvenile kingfisher on the Bourn Brook. I got a couple photos. Although I reckon yesterday's was an adult as it was calling. Lots of juvenile birds feeding on brook flies. More grey wagtail.
Kingfisher in the usual spot on the River Tame under spaghetti junction. It stopped a few times and I should have got a photo. More grey wagtails. Great!

I decided to check out a few areas, early morning with a run at each one, plenty of Kingfisher present in all the usual places;
River Rea, Selly Park - Kingfisher, Heron, Grey Wagtail.
River Cole, Archers - a Kingfisher sat on the dam wall, it flew off and then might have got chased by another in the distance as I heard the tutting noise of a chase. I could see the small fish it was perched above. The water was very low. Several finches feeding.
River Cole, Stetchford - a Kingfisher flew by calling and I saw it on a river perch further along. A few heron size fish present.
Gumbleberrys Lake, River Cole, Stetchford - Kingfisher on a perch over the lake and a Heron.
River Cole, Sarehole Mill - heard a Kingfisher down the back, then saw it sat on a river perch. A Heron further along.
Bourn Brook Walkway - heard the Kingfisher then later on saw it on a river perch further along, assumed it was the same one. Grey Wagtails also present.
A great morning!

Last edited:
River Rea, Selly Park - Heron and then I found the Kingfisher this morning in all the rain, quite some way down the river. Great!

River Rea, Selly Park - Kingfisher this morning back in the usual spot. No sight or sound of one on the Bourn Brook, heard it call yesterday. Great!

I thought I would stop by and check on the Kingfisher on the River Tame under Spaghetti Junction. I could not find it on the normal stretch so had a look up the tributary brook next to the canal and there it was on a perch over the brook. There were other tits and sparrows feeding and about six or seven grey wagtails also feeding. Great!

Everywhere I looked today on the River Rea, there were Grey Wagtails, into double figures.
The Kingfisher was on the River Rea this morning in it's usual spot, I was too early for it and on my run back it saw me and did a slight body roll as it flew past. Heron as well.
This afternoon on the Bourn Brook, first I heard a Jay then the Kingfisher took off from it's river perch. Great!

Juvenile Kingfisher

Picture of the Juvenile Kingfisher that has been on the Bourn Brook. This is the third year running I've seen one present this time of year. The Ranger reported one before that. There is also an adult kingfisher further along. Great!

Attachments

• KFJA.jpg
    KFJA.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back