• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many bird books have you got? (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

To me having bird books is an integral part of being a birder - and I'd guess most birders have a higher than average number of books.

So, in keeping for the vogue here of asking how many birds of a particular family you've seen (a race in which I'd never be well placed), I thought I'd ask how many bird books people have. I'm not sure I'll do too well in this race either, but since Mrs C used to suggest [she's now given up!] that a) I already have too many and b) you can't possibly want another one, at least I can hope to show my obsession to be a modest one! (I wager there's a good few out there with 1,000+!)

The answer I discovered, incidentally, was that I have 399 books (counting multi-volume sets as one and disregarding booklets like county reports) devoted to birds. Of these about twenty are devoted to Spain which is understandable as I go there a good deal, but why on earth do I have six on Australia (been there once), just over a dozen on sub-Saharan Africa and half a dozen on South America (never been to either)? More understandable, given my interests and profession (I taught history), are the 50+ 'bird art books' as is another 40 or so on what might broadly be termed biography/culture/history.

The burning question is, of course, what my 400th book should be .... although there's a good chance it's already here hiding in the jumble for which there is no shelf space and I missed it!

Nowhere near that John, but just recently got 4 more for my forthcoming trip..... I hope they are all thoroughly thumbed through by the time I return!!

I have almost 30 nature books most are about birds.
Lately I only scan the field guides as needed, but want to get back
into reading more. I used to read books in general a lot more than I do now.
There's just not enough time these days and my job has become increasingly
more stressful/busier. I just don't feel like reading after work or on lunch like I used to.
I wish I was retired and had more time for the things I love.

I have about 20 or so but some of them cover butterflies, insects. dragonflies, fish, animals , wild life and natural history subjects in general.:eek!:

I was going to do a thread along these lines for a while now, just not gotten around to it yet!

I guess my library has doubled in the last few years, mostly additions are year accounts/life stories as opposed to field guides and species monographs.

Guess I'll have to go and count them now ...

The burning question is, of course, what my 400th book should be ....

Perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase given their generally combustible nature.

Last edited:
Apparently 250+, plus a decent number of other general nature books. But a few of those are multiple copies of the same book, either different editions, or for my more well-used books I like to have a nice copy for the bookshelf and a field copy which is often scruffier and scribbled on.....................

I'm not sure I'll do too well in this race either, but since Mrs C used to suggest [she's now given up!] that a) I already have too many and b) you can't possibly want another one,...

Wow! Is that ever a familiar story! (Except my Ms. C. hasn't quite given up yet ...)

I don't know the count of the books I have devoted to birds, but they do take up two whole shelves in an already very crowded library; then, there's another shelf taken up by books that one might call "auxillaries", other books that I've accumulated through the hobby (Lonely Planet guides to various countries I have birded/want to bird in future, general wildlife guides, etc.)

Peter C.

How many bird books have you got?
~ 300. Not counted field ornithological magazines nor many copies which I contributed to various libraries or family members (e.g. when purchasing newer editions or reviewer's copies).

My birds books are currently spread across three addresses and two states, so somewhat difficult to count, but I guess I have probably 30ish, excluding books on extinct birds and dinosaurs. Most are field guides or birders guides to various places.

I can count over 200 from where I am sitting, and there is another bookcase full of ones dealing with American birds in my living room. Plus a load in boxes. So 300+.

Steve

I have a little over 4000 books in the house (I'm a bookseller) plus my own books - another 1000 or so

153 of those for sale are ornithology..... I'm guessing I have a few hundred of my own too... bet I've got the oldest ones if not the most...only got Willoughby missing

I can count over 200 from where I am sitting, and there is another bookcase full of ones dealing with American birds in my living room. Plus a load in boxes. So 300+.

Steve

I dread to think but have over 200 New Nats for a start (4 copies of some..). Probably 600+ excluding periodicals.

cheers, a

I was going to do a thread along these lines for a while now, just not gotten around to it yet!

I guess my library has doubled in the last few years, mostly additions are year accounts/life stories as opposed to field guides and species monographs.

Guess I'll have to go and count them now ...

Perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase given their generally combustible nature.

I think that my 451st would be the most inflammable!

About 80, many of which I know I will never look at again. There are about 20 I refer to regularly, another ten I'm likely to read again for the pleasure, and maybe another ten 'classics' (e.g. Lack 'The Life of the Robin') that it's just nice to have. So what are those other 40 doing there !? ... right, out they go ...

I just counted 635, excluding some tens of separately stored doubles which I could sell or give to somebody someday. And lots of of periodical journals, and about the same number of other books. Ebooks are more difficult to count.

A mere 26 or so. However to get to that I had to widen it to general wildlife; it includes seven photo portfolio books (only one is dedicated to birds), three guides to tropical fish, mammal, whales and dolphin guides,...

Only nine books are clearly bird dominant.

a tad shy of 200 strictly bird books. and maybe around another 200 or so other natural history titles--reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, mammals, plants, geology, etc.

as well, i seem to have a fair amount of periodicals and journals.

seems i'm always picking up one thing or another...

Last edited:
I dread to think but have over 200 New Nats for a start (4 copies of some..). Probably 600+ excluding periodicals.

cheers, a

just done a count of the bird books 297 (excludes NN), New Nats 186 (rather too many second copies), other wildlife 170. Shocking really.

cheers, a

Not too sure not really counted but have put some on my bookshelves in my room will have to count them sometime. Will be ordering new books for my forthcoming trip to The Canaries in September.

About 350 'proper' books, plus about 140 annual reports, smaller site guides, regional checklists etc.

And far too many journals/magazines!

PS. At least I don't 'collect' any series, so there's no absolute compulsion to acquire particular titles.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back