• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very heavy activity today (1 Viewer)

Papa Joe

The temp is down to near zero here and the birds are going crazy here in my yard..I have one feeder at my window and two suet feeders in view..It's a constant stream of birds..Chickadees, nuthatches, Downy woodpecker, female cardinal, and several blue jays..
One of the jays is a giant..Biggest one I've ever seen..
It's too cold to for me to go outside, so I'm hoping a friend will drop by and put the peanuts out for me..
I'm thinking that's what those blue jays are watching for..Sometimes they swoop in and grab the peanuts as I'm walking away after putting them out..
I think they like me..

With the weather as cold as it is up there, this doesn’t surprise me. Nice variety also.

My friend came by and put the peanuts out for me..Both the shelled and un-shelled..He said a jay came and took an un-shelled nut while he was standing there..
I do believe peanuts are "crack" to those rascals..lol

My friend came by and put the peanuts out for me..Both the shelled and un-shelled..He said a jay came and took an un-shelled nut while he was standing there..
I do believe peanuts are "crack" to those rascals..lol

Yes, jays of many kinds really like peanuts. The ones that frequent my yard here in Reno--California Scrub-jays--much prefer shelled peanuts to acorns and other "natural" foods, presumably because the kernels are not only highly nutritious but also because the shells are so very easy to crack open to get at them. On numerous occasions in the fall, when the jays are harvesting acorns for caching rather than immediate consumption, I've seen them drop the acorns when flying over the yard and go after the peanuts I've thrown out for them.

Boy, sub zero weather here..They are really active on my feeders now..I saw a pair of Cardinals hanging out in the tree and visiting the feeders..
Saw my first cedar waxwing.He was sitting on top of one of my feeders for a long time..Beautiful little guy..
Another one that I haven't identified yet looked a lot like a flicker..(according to pics in a book)..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back