• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pileated with strange coloration. ONTARIO CANADA (1 Viewer)

Tom Lusk

I'm curious as to what would cause the atypical coloration of this Pileated Woodpecker.

Ideas?

Attachments

• PILEATED STRANGE V CROP 1000P.jpg
    PILEATED STRANGE V CROP 1000P.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 77
My goodness! With all the Pileateds I come across, I have never seen one with this coloring. An amazing capture of this male Tom!

The pale brown feathers are old, very worn, and bleached. Not too unusual this time of year. The white feathers, however, in the median converts and at least one primary, are leucistic (lack melanin). Pileateds occasionally have white blotches, and some think that the reported Ivory-billed in Arkansas and Florida may have been leucistic Pileated.
Andy

Thanks, KC.

I have seen hundreds, if not thousands of this species, but never any color variations.

Always something new in birding...

@ Kratter Detail photo of feathers.

Here is a 100% crop showing feather detail.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the brownish feathers are in poor shape. Would old feathers change colors slowly - in this case from black to brown as the supply of melanin gradually decreases? It looks like some of the shoulder area feathers are close to being shed.

Attachments

• PILEATED STRANGE V CROP DETAIL.jpg
    PILEATED STRANGE V CROP DETAIL.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 16
Here is a 100% crop showing feather detail.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the brownish feathers are in poor shape. Would old feathers change colors slowly - in this case from black to brown as the supply of melanin gradually decreases? It looks like some of the shoulder area feathers are close to being shed.

Pileateds have a complete body molt in late summer, thus those worn feathers are almost a year old. They slowly wear and pale over the course of the year. This is common in juvenile gulls, where you see very worn and bleached birds by April. Your bird may have been in poor condition when it last molted and the feathers are in poorer shape than normal. Leucism can also result form poor condition.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back