• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor? Nampa, Idaho, USA (1 Viewer)

jnicholes

Hello,

So, I got a new birding camera. I went out to test it out this morning around 7 AM my time. I snapped multiple pictures. I knew what most of the birds I saw were.

This picture, however, I am trying to figure out what it is. It looks like a raptor.

Unknown.jpg

Can someone help me ID this bird?

Jared

Well, thanks for the help so far. I'm going to try and go back later and get a better picture if I can see it again. Maybe a better picture will help.

Jared

I apologize. I uploaded the wrong picture. Its difficult to tell with so many different file names. This was supposed to go on another thread.

@fugi, thanks for that ID! It wasn't the ID I was looking for, but thanks anyway!

I actually think you guys are right about it being an osprey. it makes sense because the place where I took that photo was right next to a Fish and Game fish hatchery. He was probably looking for an easy meal.

Jared

Another illustration, if one were needed, of the utter futility, of guessing what things are from poor shots.

Last edited:
you're right. It was a poor shot. Even I have to admit that.

I actually got my first birding camera yesterday. Up until yesterday, I was using my phone. I'm still getting used to it and still learning the ropes of good picture taking. This was one of my first pictures.

I am aware it's a bad shot, and I am still learning.

Jared

you're right. It was a poor shot. Even I have to admit that.

I actually got my first birding camera yesterday. Up until yesterday, I was using my phone. I'm still getting used to it and still learning the ropes of good picture taking. This was one of my first pictures.

I am aware it's a bad shot, and I am still learning.

Jared

It wasn't a dig at you Jared, rather the increasingly poor shots that are appearing with increasing regularity on the site. It's not a new talking point either and people have to realise that there are limits as to what can be ID'd, even by 'experts'.

I didn't take that as an offense. I was just making sure you guys knew that it was one of my first pictures. Thats all. No offense taken.

Thanks for saying that, though. I suffer from mental illness, and it's hard to tell what's a dig at me and what's not.

Jared

I was going through my camera, and I found a better picture of that bird. The first one. Wing profile matches that of an osprey. Color matches also.

after comparing it to another Osprey picture I have, I can say that this might be an osprey.

Jared

Another illustration, if one were needed, of the utter futility, of guessing what things are from poor shots.

C'mon andy that's the fun of it!, bad shots at worst can be ''imagination'' stretching, after all it's only a game...you win some and you lose some. :t:

I would plump for Osprey and actually quite like these fuzzy shots - if bird ID was easy peasy and an exact science it would take not only all the fun out of it and there would be no more ‘little Brown jobs’;)

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back