• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found a Baby robin (1 Viewer)

Aaron23

Hi guys my wife and I are extremely saddened.

I was on a walk yesterday and with this hot weather 99 felt like 110 on Sunday I came across a baby Robbin that likely left it’s nest that same day. It was panting and it was mouthing from heat exhaustion. I took it under a tree and my wife brought her home.

We brought her inside and lowered her temperature with the AC at home. We went to petco and brought home some exact pet food to hand feed her. We fed her the exact food and water through a syringe but she was unable to stand on her feet. We fed her 4-5 times yesterday and once this morning before we went to work. She was still unable to sit on her feet she would plop on her butt.

We tried to keep her alive. We provided her water and shelter gave her a dark room to wait until we arrived home. We came home today and she passed away.

I’d like to know what your thoughts are? Could we have done anything further for the bird? Did she pass from heat stroke and didn’t survive day 2?

Thank you,
Aaron

Hi Aaron and I'm so sorry for the outcome of this situation.

Usually we tell members to leave the bird where it was found as recently fledged birds are still watched over and fed by the parents but every situation is different so who knows!

Here's a link that may help you in future incidents like thisl

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36564

And btw, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hi Foggin the baby bird was in the middle of the road. I placed it under a tree out of direct sunlight. I came back 20 minutes later and found it in the same spot it wasn’t going to make it in the immense heat. I’m just wondering what a vet would have done to save the bird if that was at all possible

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back